Answered

Inbox Rules using filter 'a customer starts a new conversation'

Hello!

I am looking to apply a tag automatically when certain agents manually create a new conversation/email. 

I understand that there is the ability to use the ‘When’ rule for when a ticket is created but we do not currently use tickets. Agents only create outbound conversations/emails so this filter will not apply.

I wanted to use the filter ‘when a customer starts a new conversation’, specifically because in the subtext it mentions that it triggers when a new conversation is started. I am looking to confirm if that also applies to agents creating a conversation, or does it have to be the customer who creates the conversation in order for the inbox rule to fire properly?

If the ‘when a customer starts a conversation’ does not also apply to conversations created by agents, what recommendations are there to auto-apply tags when certain agents/teams create a new outbound chat or email?

Thank you and please let me know if there are any questions.  

icon

Best answer by Daniel M15 19 April 2023, 18:28

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey there @Ethan 👋 

Paul here from Intercom Support!

It is not currently possible to automatically tag messages sent from the Inbox in this way but I'd be happy to flag this as a feature request with the product team with the above use case!

Let me know if you’d like to leave any other details with this request 🙏

Any further info I can pass along to the product team would be helpful for the request 🙂

Userlevel 2

Hey @Ethan! Daniel from Customer Support Engineering here 🔧 

The ‘when a customer starts a new conversation’ will not work here. To achieve this, you would need to set up a webhook for the conversation.admin.single.created topic to detect when an admin initiates a conversation, and use the Add tag to a conversation endpoint to automatically apply a tag, using the ID of the conversation from the payload that’s returned from the webhook. You may require developmental resources to implement this.