Has anyone figured out a way to integrate with Google Analytics?

Not sure if this would be an Apps question or just a general Intercom API question…

Our marketers use Google Analytics as their home base for info about how our site is doing. As far as I can tell, there’s no official Intercom integration with G.A. I can picture listening for Intercom events and responding by sending events to G.A. but I haven’t gone very far down that rabbit hole. I’m curious whether anyone has already engineered a solution.

At a minimum, I’d like to be able to setup an advanced segment in G.A. for sessions that included interaction with Intercom. I’d also like to know which pages on the site prompt interaction with Intercom, conversion rates on Intercom related goals, etc. If a team member could click a button during a conversation and have that result in an event being communicated to G.A. that would be even better, but that may be asking for too much.

If anybody has come up with a solution, I’d love to hear it.

0 Likes

Hey @joel.davis! Thanks for asking. The only solutions I’ve ever seen in this area are fairly manually instrumented. Effectively people doing what you suggested by sending events to GA any time there is an event that is triggered in Intercom.

You also might want to have a look at our webhooks as they are a great way to be notified of data changes in Intercom.

0 Likes

Hey @joel.davis

I’m not sure you’d need the messenger app framework in this case, I’d have a webhook listening for new conversations. When a new conversation comes in and fires to your webhook, get context about that user and log in Google Analytics. The hard part is that I don’t think there is a way to bundle the current page a user is on or that kind of non-Intercom metadata along with your webhook firing. You’d have to get fancy in GA (which I’m less savvy with)

If a team member could click a button during a conversation and have that result in an event being communicated to G.A. that would be even better

I think this would be easier to accomplish, a Intercom teammate could add an internal note with a specific syntax which could fire a webhook that was listening for all notes. When the webhook fires, if the note meets the pattern, add to GA with the context in the note.

There’s no “buttons” internal teammates can use yet but notes can get us close.

Hope it helps at least a bit!

0 Likes