Is submit flow webhook URL optional?

Morning folks,

Just a small note. Our use-case is fairly simple, presenting data rather than having users interact with it. Because of this, we don’t currently use the “Submit Flow”. However, the “My Apps” UI requires us to enter one to pass validation.

For now I’ve just put a dummy URL, will that suffice? Is there any technical requirement which means I MUST implement the submit flow?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hey @robertrawlins – it’s required in the dev hub but as long as you’re not using any submit actions in your app the dummy URL should be fine as it’s never called.

I’d be interested to know more about this use case – and what sort of content you’re showing to users without any option to interact.

1 Like

@jeff that makes sense. We may provide more interaction down the line.

We’re building an app to integrate with our status page service (not unlike your own), so it’s primary task is presentation of updates from customers ops/support team. User can “interact” by clicking links to open the status page in a new tab, but no real in-app interactions just yet.

1 Like

Is this an app that you’re planning on releasing to the app store or is it a custom/private app that is particular to your own services?

The reason that I ask is that we’ve seen very few private apps in the wild and we’re curious to understand why.

0 Likes

@jeff it’ll be a public app, many of our customers (and ourselves) use Intercom so they’re regularly requesting an integration.

1 Like

@jeff if I were to speculate about the lower private/custom adoption, my guess would be that it’s to do with the potential return on investment.

As a SaaS, I know I have paying customers that’ll use our integration, and it’s also a potential channel for us to acquire new customers when people see us listed in the app store. So any time we invest in development has a clear path to pay us back.

If however it was a private app, it’d have to result in some pretty killer efficiency savings (though less time spent supporting customers) or similar to make sense to commit to the investment.

0 Likes

Thanks! That was one of our speculations as well. :slight_smile: The payoff for efficiency only kicks in for larger teams or high volume support/sales. In any case, good to know.

1 Like

I’m sure it’ll change as the cost of development comes down, all the improvements you have planned for documentation and tooling will lower that bar.

0 Likes

Hey @robertrawlins – it’s required in the dev hub but as long as you’re not using any submit actions in your app the dummy URL should be fine as it’s never called.

@jeff I’m curious too :thinking: , let me check if we can make it optional.

3 Likes