Answered

Do you use the Live Chat feature?

• 4 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Yes… I know… this is somewhat of a weird question… BUT… hear me out… 

In an entrepreneur slack channel I am in I asked the same question…

Do you use the Live Chat feature in Intercom?

And I was shocked by the responses… The over whelming answer was NO…

Now to be clear… Majority said YES at first… but when I asked a few more questions… The answers turned to… well… not really… 

What I have found is that a large number of companies that I spoke with enable the chat feature on the site… but when it comes to “using” it… in terms of having a live team ready to reply… is more of a best effort use case… 

Most of the companies I spoke with rely on asynchronous responses… which again… I found shocking!

Before accepting my small dataset as the norm… I figured I would pop on here and ask gen pop… haha

So…  If you don’t mind me asking…

Do you use the Live Chat feature?

Super interested to see how this goes… Thanks ahead of time for any responses! 

Cheers, 

Spencer Scott

icon

Best answer by sharleen 15 April 2024, 19:10

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey there @Spencer S !

Coming to you from the Intercom side of things. I’m sure it probably comes as no surprise but our Support Team uses the Live Chat feature day-in and day-out 😁

A lot of of our customers do the same. Though there are those who use us for Email sending, or for our WhatsApp integration,  Surveys, SMS sending, and Product Tours.

Some folks like using Intercom as a way of pulling in their various non-Intercom Chat channels (WhatsApp, Email, Facebook, Instagram, etc) so all of those communiqués end up in one single Help Desk that allows their team to more easily keep in touch with their customers without having to hop around.

Would love to hear how other folks respond to this though! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We use true live chat - we have a team ready to assist from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday. Customers are educated to know this is the timeframe we are available, and we typically get back to them within minutes. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

We also offer live chat, without utilizing the response via email options.  Given that, we are measuring things like Time to first response in seconds not minutes and hours like many of those who are actually doing asynchronous chat.

During non-business hours when our team is not available, we do still allow them to chat, but tell them agents are not available, and give our bot the opportunity to try to help them.  this also helps us to measure the demand for chat after hours.