Skip to main content
Answered

Compatibility of Using Different API Versions for User/Contact Management

• 24 July 2024
  • 1 reply

In the "Developer Hub" section, we have set up the API version "1.4", this version is used in all our clients.

In the old API versions (for example, in 1.4), there is a method "Create or Update User". In the new API versions (for example, 2.11), the endpoint "api.intercom.io/users" is not described, but there is a Contacts documentation section, which describes similar methods.

Can we simultaneously use the old API version 1.4 for user management (through calls to "api.intercom.io/users") and the new API version 2.11 (through calls to "api.intercom.io/contacts"). For calls to the new Contacts API, we plan to use the HTTP header 'Intercom-Version': '2.11'.

Will such use of two different API versions break the logic of Intercom, will user/contact data be lost?

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @iatsiuk -- Cam from the Intercom Support Engineering team here!

I see and understand what you’re asking but I can confirm that it is not possible to make an API call to an endpoint within a Model - such as the Contacts model added from API v2.0 onwards - which was not/is not available in the API version that’s selected in your App settings.

So for your App thats setup to use API v1.4 in the Settings page (as shown in your below screenshot), if you were to make a Contacts model using the cURL "api.intercom.io/users” you’ll just get a 4XX HTTP response back. Any data that was sent in the request will not be entered in-to or actioned within your Intercom data.

Hope that helps clarify things. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions 😁