Answered

How to post action-messages to a conversation?

Intercom's agent chat interface has action messages that are displayed differently, i.e. in the center of the agent's chat window. For example the "You assigned this conversation to yourself 1h ago" notification. I would like to send this through the API, is this possible? Is there a conversation message type that we can use for this or recommended html body formatting type? I have tried applying the formatting that is applied in the agent's chat screen to my message body and this did not work.

icon

Best answer by Roy 4 May 2021, 10:10

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @user1154​ ,

Q - I would like to send this through the API, is this possible?

A - Nope, it's not possible to send system messages through the API.

Can you share a bit more about your use case? What problem are you trying to resolve by transferring system messages through API?

Hello @roy s11​ ,

Thanks a lot for the response. So we have recently integrated our chat UI into intercom. We currently send presence messages to the agent, e.g. when a chatter has left the conversation or when the chatter has ended the conversation, we send a reply to the agent stating this. But we would like these messages to be displayed in the agent's chat like you currently display your action messages.

In the image below I have highlighted our presence messages in red and your action messages in blue. We would like to display our presence messages like you do your action messages.

Intercom Screenshot

Userlevel 1
Badge

@user1154​ , How about send this as a Notes? Lot's of integrations posting such messages as a Note.

More you can find here, For a reply sent on behalf of an admin:

message_type - note.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Wouldn't this be misleading for the agent, especially if they use notes for other purposes?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@user1154​ , Nope, Most Intercom integrations using Notes for such use cases. 

You can also select one teammate and send such notes only from his name.