Answered

Intercom PHP SDK is Incredibly Outdated

• 10 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi All,

We raised this with the partnership team and on GitHub itself but adding here for visibility. We (and others) pushed an enormous amount of fixes to this library in October last year and it still hasn't been released and as a result, the library doesn't fully support 2.0.

https://github.com/intercom/intercom-php/p>

Can we get some Intercom resources to finish what needs to be done and get it current again? We'd rather not have to branch it and run our own, only to have to merge back to Intercom if it's subsequently released.

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 15 February 2021, 12:09

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @colin l11​, currently the only web SDK we officially support is our Ruby SDK. I've chatted with our engineers about this and we don't currently have scope within our roadmap to roll out official support for the PHP SDK.

Are you in contact with the GitHub user who set up this repo and is merging commits?

Badge +1

Hi Eric,

I'll be honest, I don't understand this answer. If Intercom is not going to support their bindings, then the repo should be updated to reflect this instead of wasting the time of contributors such as ourselves.

The user you linked has one commit to this repo.

Is there a way we can get merge permissions on this repo so we can at least push our own changes? As I said before, we don't want to branch and suddenly for Intercom to take a renewed interested, meaning we'd need to backtrack to support the official one again.

Userlevel 1

Hey @colin l11​, you're right, I did a poor job in my initial response (including my complete misreading of GitHub commits and who owns the repo), so I went back to our product team to get more information for you.

You're correct, it is an official repo, but it's one for which our team hasn't had scope over the last few cycles to review in any great detail.

It certainly isn't the intention to waste anyone's time here, but I can totally understand why you'd feel that way. I've spoken with the engineering manager who'd oversee work on these SDKs and they've told me that they'll have a response for me on whether they can scope work on our PHP SDK for the second cycle of the year, which will be around next month.

Once I've gotten an update about this scoping, I'll be sure to share it here.

Hey @colin l11​, do you use your own privat fork or another PHP lib for Intercom? I'm in the same position as you since my PR has been open since march.

I've been thinking if we should fork/rebuild the official SDK into a community powered version. Then we could add a more streamlined API as well, something like:

(new Intercom)->event()->create('created-project');

Which of course is even nicer to use with DI in Laravel.

Badge +1

Hey Emil, thank you for your comments. We use the Intercom repo on our own fork, I think it's one of the open PRs. It's been a while since I checked the official repo as unless indicated otherwise I'm considering it abandoned.

Before diving into a community version, @eric f11​ do you know if Intercom has any plans to accept the PRs and spruce up the official repo in the next ~3 months?

Userlevel 1

Hey @colin l11​, this isn't something that's scoped for our roadmap over the next three months.