Answered

We are creating conversations via the API to initiate a discussion thread with customer that are requesting a review of content they have submitted on our platform.

• 23 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Currently, I add the "meta-data" of the content being reviewed as a note into the conversation. But it would be a lot better if I could move this into the sidebar. Is there a way to add meta-data into a conversation that is then automatically shown in the sidebar?

Also it is a bit challenging since for various reasons customers might have multiple user IDs on intercom. We add all users (and their external ID) via Javascript on every request. But how do we best sync the intercom user ID back to our system, since the Intercom API always wants us to use their IDs and not our external IDs (which would be way more convenient).

Semi-related it is not very nice that we have to use IDs for things like teams and not just string identifier. This means we need to either fetch and cache this information or configure it, which is cumbersome, especially between the test and production intercom instances.

icon

Best answer by Eric Fitz 27 April 2021, 12:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @user1061​, on your question about conversation meta-data, are you familiar with our Conversation Attributes feature? These effectively function as conversation "meta-data" which are displayed in the conversation sidebar in the Inbox.

They can also be updated via the API.

On your issue re Intercom insisting on IDs vs. string identifiers - case-sensitivity, typos, etc. can be an issue when using strings, whereas IDs are generally used in a RESTful API architecture. That's why we require IDs.

indeed .. I found this since posting this and successfully implemented it. forgot to update here. thx for reminding me.

Userlevel 1

Glad to hear that this feature has been a useful solution for you 🙌