Answered

How can I create a user conversation for a website event?

• 18 March 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi,

How do a initiate a conversation from the users whenever they do certain action on our website so that our team will be notified and then follow up with them.

For example, we have a assignment upload form on our website, where we would like to initiate a conversation at Intercom when the users uploaded their assignment, so that our team will be notified and resume their conversation with the users as they are reviewing their assignment.

I tried to look for Javascript SDK to create conversation programatically so that I can trigger it after the users uploaded their assignment, but no luck.

Appreciate any thoughts and ideas to implement this.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Roy 19 March 2021, 09:12

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

If I remember correctly from the latest roadmap presentation event based messaging is planned to be integrated in Q2.

I think you might be able to send a message once if you create a custom event in Intercom and then use that event as a filter for your audience.

Check these two articles for more info:

https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/216-track-events-in-intercom/p>

https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/175-set-up-event-tracking-in-intercom/p>

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello 👋, You can create conversations based on website events.

1) There two ways to send web-site events to Intercom JavaScript or via API.

2) Once you send events to Intercom, you can trigger outgoing conversation from Outbound -> Chats -> New

3) Set-up following settings in the Rules section:

eventname 

@kevin b​ mentioned Q2 planning, as far as I know, that was related to continuously sending outbound messages based on events (Right now not possible to trigger outbound messages continuously when the event appears in Intercom).

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I tried what what you have suggested earlier but it is not exactly what I want.

The message is sent to the users on event, but the team inbox is not triggered. The message cannot be found in the team inbox either. We need our team to be notified when the event occurred, and ideally the message should be auto assign to one of the team members to follow up with the users.

Any suggestions or ideas will be much appreciated.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your advice.

As per what I have replied to Roy below, unfortunately this doesn't work for my case as I need our team to be notified when the event occurred and the message should appear in the team inbox. It will be good if the message can be auto assigned to one of our team members to follow up with the users.

Any ideas how to make this work in Intercom?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @user976​ 👋, Okay, I got your point. In this case, you should create a user-initiated conversation via API.

Here some screenshots of how this will look like:

- Once a user uploads an assignment, you should create a user-initiated conversation in Intercom (Via API).

assignment- As you see I used the text "----Assignment Sent--" and created a user-initiated conversation. Such conversation directly comes through the Inbox rules and gives agents the possibility to reply conversations directly.

- I also inserted a note reply via API, to help agents determine Assign ID, Date, You can even insert admin panel URL.

@user976​ is this what you are looking for?

Thanks Roy.

I found an easier solution using the Intercom forwarding email address, where I will send an email on behalf of the user to the team's forwarding email address.

The only drawback of this is any reply from the team will be delivered via email to the users. Ideally, I would like to reply to be delivered to the users using the standard Intercom notification rules, https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/250-how-does-intercom-deliver-push-email-chat-and-post-notifications/p>

I don't suppose there is any settings to achieve what I want, right?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@user976​ , This will create an e-mail conversation, the reply will go to the user's e-mail address instead of the in-app chat.

The best way is to create a User-initiated conversation via API.

@roy s11​ Yes, I agree with you creating conversation using the API will be the best. But I think the OAuth authentication is a bit overkill for a simple integration like this, especially when this is supposed to be an internal (not public) app integration. I was hoping that Intercom have simple integration using API key.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@user976​ , You do not need OAuth to create a conversation via API.

1) Go to https://developers.intercom.com/ -> Your apps

2) Then click on "New App"

Intercom-App-New3) Intercom App Creation4) Select created app from the list (Project 1).

5) You can find here the bearer token for API authorization

APIToken6) Postman configuration example to create user-initiated conversation via API.

Intercom-PostmanIntercom-Postman2I hope this will be helpful, Just let me know if you have any questions about API.