Answered

I'm looking for info & best practices for surveys end-to-end.

• 16 August 2022
  • 1 reply

In other words, from planning what data to gather through asking the right questions (and selecting question types) through seeing reports and using the data.

I'm also intrigued by user attributes and I'm looking for use case descriptions on those.

I know this is a lot but the articles I've found are very superficial and seem focused on what to click to do something - that much I can usually figure out on my own :-)

Can anyone help?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Racheal 19 August 2022, 02:19

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @nik p​ Racheal from Support Engineering here 👋

• Surveys are best when you need to quantify something. E.g. What percentage of my company's users use feature X for onboarding flows?
  • Surveys are great for collecting data that you can’t get from analytics E.g. customer sentiment.
  • Automating action from customer feedback - Intercom Surveys is especially useful for enhancing the user record as we can save responses as a user attribute. E.g. collecting role data for each user, then using that data to trigger a different onboarding Series.

When it comes to selecting the question type this depends entirely on how light or heavy you'd like this Survey to be, if you'd like to target mobile as well, large/small format, if you'd like branching logic etc. The rating scales are good for quick replies while long and short entry types are better for collecting broader feedback.

Advanced survey reports allow you to visualize and explore the data you've collected. Each survey you create will generate a new report which you can find under Reports > Customer engagement > Survey reports.

Saving the data you collect to a user attribute can drive follow up actions and workflows in Intercom (and any part of your tech stack you integrate with Intercom). There is many ways you can use this data (we have a few listed here), but targeting your users in Outbound content is a huge one! I know you said you've checked out some of our Articles already, but incase you haven't came across this one yet- we have a Survey best practices Article that is less about where to click and more about end to end set up!

Our own Research and Data Analytics team have put together a survey checklist we use, you can check it out here in more detail.