Skip to main content

Having the ability to trigger a reusable workflow via API would be really helpful for making workflow/bot conversations more dynamic. A specific use case I’m working on right now is serving CSAT in conversations where customers interact only with a bot (no team member assigned). 

Unresponsive triggers only happen with human to human conversations. If a customer goes unresponsive while talking to the bot, the conversation is considered abandoned, not closed.

My thought was to use Zapier to trigger closed conversations and filter by convos NOT assigned to a team member, however I have no way of serving CSAT in that conversation via the API.

I played around with starting workflows using this non-documented endpoint:

curl --request POST \
  --url https://app.intercom.io/ember/inbox/workflows/start \
  --header 'Accept: application/json' \
  --header 'Authorization: Bearer REDACTED \
  --header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
  --header 'X-Csrf-Token: REDACTED' \
  --cookie _intercom_session=REDACTED \
  --data '{
    "app_id": "######", 
    "conversation_id": ######, 
    "workflow_instance_id": ######
}
'

The problem is that this seems to required a cookie which I’m not able to refresh dynamically. Any ideas on this?

Hi @Ethan Patrick, It’s Mat from the Support Engineering Team 😀

We are currently not supporting triggering reusable workflows with the API.

Did you know that you can also check if this feature has been recorded on our Product Wishlist in our Community? You can search and upvote existing requests or create new requests 🙌
Check out the quick guide on how the Product Wishlist works here. Note that you must be logged into the Intercom Community to access the Wishlist. You can log in with SSO or log in as a guest at the top right of the page.

Alternatively you can just create a Workflow that will trigger the reusable workflow that you’ve created in the Intercom GUI.