Answered

Mailchimp into Intercom: How do I get the campaign detail into Intercom?

• 29 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Hey there, we're still new at all of this and haven't yet launched our software. We've built landing pages to attract early attention and run a couple of campaigns. The detail about participation in those campaigns is in Mailchimp.

After doing an import and discovering that Intercom automatically tags all imported contacts, I was disappointed to realize that the campaign-specific tags in Mailchimp don't come through. Seems to me I could brute force that detail into Intercom, but I'd rather get your insight into best practices.

Do I create segments in Mailchimp export those segments as CSV files then pull them into Intercom?

If Intercom finds two records both with the same email does it merge them?

Thanks so much!

icon

Best answer by Roy 29 September 2020, 09:11

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @user667​, You are totally right about import tags from Mailchimp to Intercom, Hope the Intercom team will fix this in the future. 

>Do I create segments in Mailchimp export those segments as CSV files then pull them into Intercom?

Yes, it's possible to do.

>If Intercom finds two records both with the same email does it merge them?

If user already exists in Intercom, you can update them via CSV Import.

Here some more information about CSV import and user update:

https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/177-import-your-user-data-into-intercom

"Can I update user data with a CSV import?"

You can also use Zapier Integration to update contacts in Intercom.

Hm, 🤔💭looks as though I have some work to do and a few experiments. Thanks so much for the quick answer, Roy!

I gather then that the answer to my final question is yes, "if intercom finds two records, both with the same email (on an import) it merges them."

Thank you! ~b

Userlevel 1

Hey @user667​! To add to Roy's great response - if Intercom finds a record in your Intercom workspace with an identical email address to a record in your Mailchimp import, it will merge the two if both the email addresses and user_ids are identical.

If the email addresses are the same, but user_ids are different, Intercom will create two separate user records.

By User_ids, which do you mean? In importing the MailChimp records, I included the MailChimp LEID, but now that I researched it a bit further here, I'm thinking that perhaps I should have mapped the EUID?