Answered

If I update my help center’s subdomain, will that change the rest of the article URL? (ID and/or title bit)

• 21 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi guys! Does anyone know if I update my help center’s subdomain, will that change the rest of the article URL? (ID and/or title bit)

To offer a bit more context: we're moving our help center over to Intercom, however the domain we'll eventually be using is already in use for our existing help center (help.company.com).

I'd like to update all of the links inside our articles to use the Intercom article URLs prior to moving the site to our official support domain. The Intercom help center is currently set up on the temporary subdomain newhelp.company.com.

I'm currently replacing the article links using the Intercom article URLs but removing the 'new' part so that the links should just work once the domain is moved over.

However if the article URLs (ID or titles etc.) will change when we update the subdomain, this means we'll have to redo the link URL updates while the articles are live, meaning there will be a period of time where links within all 250+ support articles are broken.

Any help/suggestions appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Jacob Cox 26 June 2023, 00:31

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey there @Julia V 

It sounds like you’re wondering if the path of the article will change when the subdomain changes, correct? If so, you’ve nothing to worry about there, that path will stay the same.

For example, the URL of our Help Center article located at https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/56988-manage-an-article would keep the “articles/56988-manage-an-article”  part of the URL even if we changed our domain to www.ireallyreallyneedhelp.com/help.

Hope that helps!