Answered

How can I avoid overwhelming users with messages when Series + Last Contacted doesn't solve the problem?

Currently my company uses Intercom to message users around new features, re-engagement campaigns, onboarding and more. We've migrated what we can to Series, and we are utilizing the "last contacted" attribute wherever we can. Still a significant number of messages don't make sense as a series because they are one-off sends.

We're still running into issues where users are receiving multiple messages when they log into our product, because there is no intrinsic priority order to the variety of messages that a user would fit the qualifications for, especially if they haven't visited in several days/weeks. So for example, if a user hasn't visited in 3 days, there may be messages from multiple series and one-off messages they would qualify to see upon landing in the product, and they all load near the same time.

Has anyone navigated this challenge before and found a way for all of these outbound methods to play nicely?

Recommendation from Intercom support was to use Series for everything. Our user base is varied and it's not possible to compartmentalize all messaging for each segment neatly in a series, but last contacted seems to miss this scenario so users are getting pummeled when they aren't visiting regularly.

Attached is an example (customer data has been obscured)

image (8)

icon

Best answer by Aparna 17 May 2022, 15:56

View original

4 replies

Hey @andy h​ ! As suggested by the support team series is the best option. But I see where you are coming from. Is there a sequence for example do you want to trigger messages in series first and then standalone one-off messages?

Hi @aparna​,

Right now we’re using series for specific use cases, like re-engagement or research outreach where we are trying to deliver messaging in a specific sequence or tying together multiple forms of outreach into one. We haven’t used in for any one-off sends, like a product announcement that may go to everyone in a particular segment.

The way I understood the recommendation from support was that all messaging needed to be in the same series in order to respect the “order” or priority of what to deliver first, second, third, etc. This seems nonsensical in the method we’re using series, as we’d have to add every product announcement or outreach into the same series in order to avoid this negative end result. One series to rule them all if you will.

Just to make sure I’m understanding this correctly though, is that what is being suggested? Or is it somehow the case that as long as each outreach message is sent as a individual series (not all combined into one, like 1 product announcement=1 series) that it would somehow better respect the last contacted attribute or priority of what shows to the user?

@andy h​ ! Your understanding of what the support team mentioned is right. Another option would be to tag the users after the last message in the first outreach is sent. Have that tag as rule to enter the second series. This way you can prioritise which needs to be sent first.

First series - Entry rule-> first outreach message -> tag

Second series - Entry rule(add the tag name)-> message

I'm experiencing the same issue @andy h​. We're using Series for certain campaigns, but some ad-hoc messages need to go out to a combination of Segments, and we're losing the overview of how many messages our users see per session. I'm worried that receiving multiple messages per session will impact our user experience with the product.

It would be great if there could be a Rule that users will only see 1 message per session or that there would be a time gap setting.