Question

How can I trigger a checklist based on a button selection only?

• 24 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Hi Community,

I've been playing around with checklists and am wanting to set up a choice of two onboarding checklists for anyone signing up to our app.

The idea is that they hit our welcome page and are offered two buttons - Learn more, or Get Set up. This covers the two jobs that people come to our site to do. On each button sits the code to trigger the specific checklist they select.

My issue is that I can't find a way to stop the checklists popping automatically. If I turn off the rules in the checklist, it doesn't pop at all if you use the sharing link. If I have rules switched on, the checklists pop automatically before I have time to get them to press their button.

Anyone come across this or have a magical idea that will allow me to do this? Would I possibly create an event based on the pressing of the button? (That seems a bit asynchronous though)

Thanks,

Brent

3 replies

Userlevel 2

Hey @brent w​! Daniel from Customer Support Engineering here 🔧 

You're on the money with using event based messaging here! You can create a custom event for your site that gets triggered when the button is clicked. This will associate the event with the current user's account. When the event fires, the checklist can also send immediately - just set up a "when to send" trigger for your event. Now, when the button is clicked, the user will trigger the event, which then triggers the checklist.

Hope this helps! 🙌

Badge +4

Thanks @daniel m15​ I will have a look into that.

What I found was that with the rules off, the code to trigger the checklists works perfectly. As soon as you press the button your checklist pops up. The Links, however are another story. If I send someone a link to the checklist (and they haven't pressed one of the buttons), the link takes them to the page but doesn't trigger the task, or show the task option in the messenger at all.

Badge +4

Ok I think I have figured it out. The URL that I am using has a redirect when you hit it. It's a menu page where the unique menu number gets added to the url when you arrive. This redirect seems to happen before the checklist has time to trigger, and the URL loses the extra parameters on the end after the redirect.

Not sure if this is something you could cater for or if I need my devs to do something but there you go. I can work around it for now by not using the links and redirecting them to the buttons.