Answered

Is there a way to tag users based on the link they click in an email?

• 13 May 2021
  • 5 replies

I'd like to tag users based on which specific link they clicked within an email.

In this case, the email asks recipients when they would like a reminder about a new service (3 weeks, 6 weeks, or two months) - this would then trigger a series.

Currently pointing them towards a Mailchimp landing page as I can't figure it out inside Intercom.

icon

Best answer by Roy 13 May 2021, 19:38

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @matt p11​ 👋, Welcome to Interconnect ✨

Q - I'd like to tag users based on which specific link they clicked within an email.

A - You can tag users globally once they click any of the links in the e-mail. It's not possible to tag them based on specific links.

Workaround: If you have some development skills or have an in-house developer you can build the following link structure:

domain.com/newsletter/IntercomID/3week; domain.com/newsletter/IntercomID/6week; domain.com/newsletter/IntercomID/2month

Once the user clicks on this link, you can send an API request to Intercom to tag the following user with a specific tag.

I hope this will be helpful.

Let me know if you have any further questions about this topic, more than happy to help.

How does this workaround work for links that are not the company website? For example, a few of the links I have in my email are to a google drive document. Is there a way to track (through UTM or API) when a user has clicked these kind of links?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@d'marquis​ ,

If you only have one link in your emails, you can tag them with Series.

Series flow example:

eMail received-> Link clicked -> Tag added.

Thanks for the confirmation, @roy s11​ . I've seen a few posts about this feature, seems like something users would like to be added to the platform in a future release. Has this already been added to a list of future enhancements? If not, where/how can I add it?

@roy s11​  - Wanted to follow-up on the above. Can you provide more information as to whether this feature will be coming? Or how I can request it?