Answered

Seeking Assistance with Upgrading Intercom SDK from 5.2.0 to 6..1.0

• 1 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello Intercom Community,

I'm reaching out to seek some guidance on an issue I've encountered while upgrading the Intercom SDK in my React Native project.

I'm in the process of upgrading my project to Android SDK 34 as required by the new version of Intercom SDK. However, when I change the `compileSdkVersion` to 34 in my build.gradle file to accommodate this update, I encounter `:app:mergeExtDexDevDebug` errors during the build process.

Here is the error log I'm receiving:

ERROR:D8: com.android.tools.r8.kotlin.H

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':app:mergeExtDexDevDebug'.
> Could not resolve all files for configuration ':app:devDebugRuntimeClasspath'.
> Failed to transform accompanist-themeadapter-appcompat-0.32.0.aar (com.google.accompanist:accompanist-themeadapter-appcompat:0.32.0) to match attributes {artifactType=android-dex, asm-transformed-variant=NONE, dexing-enable-desugaring=true, dexing-enable-jacoco-instrumentation=false, dexing-is-debuggable=true, dexing-min-sdk=21, org.gradle.category=library, org.gradle.dependency.bundling=external, org.gradle.libraryelements=aar, org.gradle.status=release, org.gradle.usage=java-runtime}.
> Execution failed for DexingWithClasspathTransform: C:\User\.gradle\caches\transforms-3\17dbaff7443aecb45799304a7b339544\transformed\jetified-accompanist-themeadapter-appcompat-0.32.0-runtime.jar.
> Error while dexing.
> Failed to transform accompanist-themeadapter-material-0.32.0.aar (com.google.accompanist:accompanist-themeadapter-material:0.32.0) to match attributes {artifactType=android-dex, asm-transformed-variant=NONE, dexing-enable-desugaring=true, dexing-enable-jacoco-instrumentation=false, dexing-is-debuggable=true, dexing-min-sdk=21, org.gradle.category=library, org.gradle.dependency.bundling=external, org.gradle.libraryelements=aar, org.gradle.status=release, org.gradle.usage=java-runtime}.
> Execution failed for DexingWithClasspathTransform: C:\User\.gradle\caches\transforms-3\5cb75ef1f74dc15640c937a8f2b0307e\transformed\jetified-accompanist-themeadapter-material-0.32.0-runtime.jar.
> Error while dexing.
> Failed to transform accompanist-themeadapter-material3-0.32.0.aar (com.google.accompanist:accompanist-themeadapter-material3:0.32.0) to match attributes {artifactType=android-dex, asm-transformed-variant=NONE, dexing-enable-desugaring=true, dexing-enable-jacoco-instrumentation=false, dexing-is-debuggable=true, dexing-min-sdk=21, org.gradle.category=library, org.gradle.dependency.bundling=external, org.gradle.libraryelements=aar, org.gradle.status=release, org.gradle.usage=java-runtime}.
> Execution failed for DexingWithClasspathTransform: C:\User\.gradle\caches\transforms-3\e55f4e695093b1448573f570a8886f46\transformed\jetified-accompanist-themeadapter-material3-0.32.0-runtime.jar.
> Error while dexing.
> Failed to transform accompanist-themeadapter-core-0.32.0.aar (com.google.accompanist:accompanist-themeadapter-core:0.32.0) to match attributes {artifactType=android-dex, asm-transformed-variant=NONE, dexing-enable-desugaring=true, dexing-enable-jacoco-instrumentation=false, dexing-is-debuggable=true, dexing-min-sdk=21, org.gradle.category=library, org.gradle.dependency.bundling=external, org.gradle.libraryelements=aar, org.gradle.status=release, org.gradle.usage=java-runtime}.
> Execution failed for DexingWithClasspathTransform: C:\User\.gradle\caches\transforms-3\2cf65991e693c5a9d438d16647f8a057\transformed\jetified-accompanist-themeadapter-core-0.32.0-runtime.jar.
> Error while dexing.
> Failed to transform play-services-measurement-api-21.4.0.aar (com.google.android.gms:play-services-measurement-api:21.4.0) to match attributes {artifactType=android-dex, asm-transformed-variant=NONE, dexing-enable-desugaring=true, dexing-enable-jacoco-instrumentation=false, dexing-is-debuggable=true, dexing-min-sdk=21, org.gradle.status=release, org.gradle.usage=java-runtime}.
> Execution failed for DexingWithClasspathTransform: C:\User\.gradle\caches\transforms-3\994f305a337c5f38a06664d970126673\transformed\jetified-play-services-measurement-api-21.4.0-runtime.jar.
> Error while dexing.
> Failed to transform accompanist-flowlayout-0.32.0.aar (com.google.accompanist:accompanist-flowlayout:0.32.0) to match attributes {artifactType=android-dex, asm-transformed-variant=NONE, dexing-enable-desugaring=true, dexing-enable-jacoco-instrumentation=false, dexing-is-debuggable=true, dexing-min-sdk=21, org.gradle.category=library, org.gradle.dependency.bundling=external, org.gradle.libraryelements=aar, org.gradle.status=release, org.gradle.usage=java-runtime}.
> Execution failed for DexingWithClasspathTransform: C:\User\.gradle\caches\transforms-3\a5b697fffce9a7dc6b87b82b607ec144\transformed\jetified-accompanist-flowlayout-0.32.0-runtime.jar.
> Error while dexing.
> Failed to transform accompanist-systemuicontroller-0.32.0.aar (com.google.accompanist:accompanist-systemuicontroller:0.32.0) to match attributes {artifactType=android-dex, asm-transformed-variant=NONE, dexing-enable-desugaring=true, dexing-enable-jacoco-instrumentation=false, dexing-is-debuggable=true, dexing-min-sdk=21, org.gradle.category=library, org.gradle.dependency.bundling=external, org.gradle.libraryelements=aar, org.gradle.status=release, org.gradle.usage=java-runtime}.
> Execution failed for DexingWithClasspathTransform: C:\User\.gradle\caches\transforms-3\de9b00521886125660ba27b6e27845ce\transformed\jetified-accompanist-systemuicontroller-0.32.0-runtime.jar.
> Error while dexing.
> Failed to transform kotlin-stdlib-1.9.0.jar (org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-stdlib:1.9.0) to match attributes {artifactType=android-dex, asm-transformed-variant=NONE, dexing-enable-desugaring=true, dexing-enable-jacoco-instrumentation=false, dexing-is-debuggable=true, dexing-min-sdk=21, org.gradle.category=library, org.gradle.libraryelements=jar, org.gradle.status=release, org.gradle.usage=java-runtime}.
> Execution failed for DexingWithClasspathTransform: C:\User\.gradle\caches\transforms-3\aca5ce1480a773fb817bfd44eb7287fe\transformed\jetified-kotlin-stdlib-1.9.0.jar.
> Error while dexing.

What I've Tried:
I've reviewed the official documentation and Intercom's GitHub repository, but I haven't found a solution that addresses this specific problem.
I also searched for the error online and the solutions on the web didn’t help (like adding `multiDexEnabled true` in the build.gradle file, upgrading the AGP to the latest, upgrading kotlin to its latest, updating Java, Node, Android Studio to newer versions, and clearing the gradle cache, cleaning the build folder,...).
I'm wondering if there might be additional steps or configurations required.

Any helps would be greatly appreciated as our customers are experiencing crashes on iOS and we need to update to the newer versions of the Intercom SDK to have the fixes.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by cameron.gumley 2 February 2024, 02:58

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Mahdieh.dev 👋 Eden from the support engineer team here.

I see you are currently speaking with Support within a conversation for this issue! They will be the best resource to help here and should respond to you soon on this. 

Any updates here? We are completely blocked by this (exact same error as @Mahdieh.dev)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi all -- Cam from the Intercom Support Engineering team here with an update on this.

The above issue was ultimately found to be related to the original posters App being upgraded to compileSDKVersion 34 and libraries within the App that are not used by or linked to Intercom not liking the upgrade and throwing an error. If you’re having a similar issue we recommend checking that the libraries you’re using do in fact fully support the use of compileSDKVersion 34 👍