Answered

Language override over Tag Manager

• 2 May 2023
  • 2 replies

• New Participant
  • 1 reply

I am trying to implement the localization of the Intercom messenger by domain, based on this article: https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/2631808-install-intercom-with-google-tag-manager. I have multiple domains with the same GTM.

I created three tags for each domain, and as a custom attribute, I added "language_override" with the correct language. However, it works inconsistently. When we test this feature, sometimes the language is set correctly, and sometimes it is not. We have tried it in many browsers, devices, and on the BrowserStack platform, deleted cookies, but we could not achieve consistent results

When I check in the console, the "window.intercomSettings" "language_override" attribute is set correctly: {app_id: "xxxwdq", language_override: "en"}.

Here is screen of my tag configuration.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Racheal 4 May 2023, 21:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @ceda Racheal from the support engineer team here👋 

I believe I scooped up your conversation that you opened up, but I’ll post my response here for other viewers as well! The value of the language_override will only be used if it conforms to an ISO 639-1 two-letter code. Taking a look at the listed codes herecz is not on that list. Let me know if this doesn’t fix things for you!

Thank you for your response. It was my silly mistake, but now I have switched to a valid ISO code and I hope the problem is solved. It caused us a lot of trouble and testing.  
The behavior was inconsistent, most likely because the setting ignored the invalid ISO code and took the language setting from the browser.