Answered

Managing visibility of the Launcher and the Widget

• 5 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey guys,

I have a task that would require some brainstorming and finding a creative solution with some outside-of-the-box-thinking.

The challenge is as follows:

We want to offer chat support as a premium service.

We already set up a complex solution that allows visitors to chat up to 5 times without purchasing a product (the system of custom bots and tags).

Now, since the chat is originally available only on the /chat/ URL (Launcher visible only there), and the agent might give a link to a proposed product, the user will go away from the /chat/ page and on desktop, it would be ok as the conversation continues, Widget is open in the bottom-right corner. And the user will probably not close it. On the mobile, it's a bit different, Widget fills in the whole screen and the user might close it in order to see the page. Once they close it they can not continue it, as the Launcher is not visible. They would need to go back to the /chat/ page... not a good user experience.

So, the big question, how to make Launcher visible on each page ONLY during the conversation?

I was thinking about using tags, but that would require lots of manual work from agents to tag and untag (important!) people. Then I was thinking that Macro can automate tagging but it only tags conversation and then I realized that that Launcher logic does not even support any kind of tags in their rules!

Any thoughts on this? 🙂

icon

Best answer by Roy 5 April 2021, 22:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @user382​ 👋, Happy Easter 🐰

Just to confirm that we are on the same page, you are building this for logged-in users yes?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @roy s11​ Happy Easter to you too!

Actually, it should be for all - Leads (once they start the chat, visitors will turn into leads) and Users.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@user382​ , Thank you, a pretty strange case you have here.

When companies are providing premium support, they mostly using a customer portal to detect premium customers and then display messenger.

You can also create a "support_chat" attribute to count interactions with customers (Then can be used to limit interaction).

This is the correct way to provide premium support, but you are going through the other way.

There are two ways to do this - No Code / Intercom JS API

No-Code:

You can create 2 rules:

- Display Messenger in /chat page;

Or

- Last Contact 0 Day's Ago

With this rule, customers can start interaction to support at /chat;

After the interaction, Intercom messenger will be available the whole day (On Every Page).

(Unfortunately, it's not possible to set hours or minutes - Only days).

JS API

You can use Intercom Javascript API, Develop your own launcher and display when there is an active conversation.

Example Notion:

NotionI hope this will be helpful 😇

Best,

Roy

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thanks @roy s11​ , yeah it is a pretty unusual scenario that comes from the business side who do not know any Intercom features, so they are pretty much blank sheets when it comes to defining the Chat processes. 🙂 which is not that bad but then I need to find ways to implement it with Intercom 😃

The idea behind not putting it behind the wall is that it's a store where you can buy without registering, so we have mostly Leads.

The No-code solution is actually something that I'm using already for displaying Custom Bots. As I said, I also manage it via tags. And, yes, I can use Last Contacted 0 days ago. The only negative thing is that it would also enable chat for our lowest priority of users that we will address with a delay which can be greater than 1 day.

For JS API solution, I thought of this too, but not sure if developers are capable of doing this fast enough.

I found in API docs that there is a Search for Conversation and List all Conversations, that can be used to check if there is an active conversation for that user/lead and then use Intercom('show') if there is. And we can add additional logic for the priority level... That sounds a possible solution, just to check with devs.

Thanks, I have some ideas to work on 😉