Answered

How does Enabled Push Messaging get updated?

• 11 January 2024
  • 1 reply

We have Enabled Push Messaging being set to True or Unknown correctly when a user creates an account and opts in to notifications (True) or skips it (Unknown). However, if a user turn off notifications via their phone settings (not via the app) Enabled Push Messaging is not updated. How is this supposed to work?

icon

Best answer by cameron.gumley 12 January 2024, 06:56

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @G'day -- Cam from the Intercom Engineering Support team here. 

I believe you’ve been chatting with my teammate @Aykut in Messenger and that he’s provided a great response to this, which I’ve summarised below so the community is updated on the answer...

The "enabled push messaging" attribute actually gets its value based on whether you register the device token for that user on your mobile app or not. So even if the end user disables the notification settings later on within their settings, their device token will still be registered in the system.

The device token would be removed from the User when logout method is called.

So as a summary, this attribute doesn't directly indicate whether the user allows receiving notifications from you. Instead, it indicates whether a device token is registered for their profile or not.

When there is a device token registered for the user, Intercom will send them the notification, but they will only receive it based on whether they allow notifications or not.