iOS SDK leak data and exhaust cellular data plan

• 19 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I use this sdk: https://github.com/intercom/intercom-ios-sp

version: 16.2.1

The issue - The SDK is leaking data!

It seam like on each time I open a chat with a representative, the entire content is being downloaded, including images shared in that conversation. EACH TIME. So if I open a chat with image it will download the full size of the image.

Close the window, reopen it again - the full image is downloaded again. This is problematic- we had a user that complain his cellular data plan was exhausted in matter of days.

I've verified it by using Proxyman tool - sniffing the network and seeing it.

I tried also a different app in my phone to see if it happens to them as well. It does (Wolt app).

I’ve asked a support representative in private and his response was:

“… I can confirm that's the expected behaviour for images in conversations. And at the moment, we don't have any alternatives to cache those images to optimise network data ...”

Does anyone else exprience it?

Does it make sense this is the expected behviour?

Perhaps if Intercom will see this issue is wider the fix will go up in the priority list.

Thank you

Jacob Cox 3 months ago

Hi @Gil Goldenberg !

As mentioned in the chat you had with our Support team, this is currently the expected behavior. We recognize this might not be the ideal behavior for some end users and have flagged this as a Feature Request with our Product Team to see if they can make some improvements on that in the future! 

Thanks for reaching out about it!

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Gil Goldenberg !

As mentioned in the chat you had with our Support team, this is currently the expected behavior. We recognize this might not be the ideal behavior for some end users and have flagged this as a Feature Request with our Product Team to see if they can make some improvements on that in the future! 

Thanks for reaching out about it!