Answered

React Native Intercom.displayMessenger API

• 8 August 2023
  • 1 reply

After upgrading from an older Intercom React Native version to the latest version (see details below) we’re no longer able to use the Intercom.displayMessenger() API to open the message composer with the logic mentioned in the docs here, which says:

Then we’ll ensure the Messenger opens in the best place for each user.

For example:

• If a user has one unread conversation, we open that conversation.
  • If a user has no conversations, we open the composer.
  • If a user has more than one unread conversation, we open the conversations list.
  • If a user has no unread conversations, we open the last screen they were on when they closed it.

The docs still mention the Intercom.displayMessenger() API, but according to comments in the code it’s deprecated and will be removed in the future. Currently calling the function seems to simply do the same as the Intercom.present() API. Our customer support team really likes the old Intercom.displayMessenger() UX and messenger display logic and would prefer to keep it. Are there any plans to add it back to the API? Or are there any other ways to achieve the same kind of UX with the message composer or presentSpace API?

Versions:
RN: "@intercom/intercom-react-native": "5.2.0"
Native: Intercom (15.1.3)

icon

Best answer by Racheal 11 August 2023, 00:30

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @Martin Hochenwarter Racheal from the support engineer team here👋 

I’ve confirmed with our developer team that this logic is not in place with the present() method and I’m afraid we have no plans to bring it back either. I agree having that logic in place was really useful- I’ve gone ahead and flagged with the team that this is something you’d like to see resurrected in the future.