Answered

Can I build a Product Tour on dynamic URLs?

• 27 October 2021
  • 8 replies

Our saas product has dynamic URLs that bring up different results as part of a search. I would like a tour to be dynamic as well. 

How can the tour move from page to page? Is it one tour or multiple?

icon

Best answer by Kevin Bendixen 28 October 2021, 10:53

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish, could you give some more info on that?

You can show the same tour on dynamic URLs if you use the filter "URL contains" and then only use the static part of the URL:

e.g. www.example.com/search

@kevin b​ I'm wondering if my use-case is the same...

Here's some product context first:

• We have an insights Dashboard which includes a lot of different widgets with their own pieces of data (e.g. there's an NPS Widget, a Timeline Widget, A Themes Widget, and so on)

• From the "Main Dashboard" (which is where the tour is set to begin) a user can click on different elements in those widgets to explore them further (e.g. you can click into a specific theme to explore it)

• When you do this, you're navigated to a different part of the Dashboard (with a slightly different URL to the one used as the "begin here URL")

Context for my Product Tour:

• I'm wanting to build a product tour that guides new users through the Primary Dashboard and different widgets there but that can ALSO show them how to drill into those widgets and get back to the main dashboard again

The roadblock with Intercom Tours:

When creating a step, I can only choose where to place the pointer on the Main Dashboard -- I can't see a way to create a workflow of steps that gets the user from the main dashboard, to the different pages you can drill into and then back to the main dashboard again.

Ideally when creating a step, I would have a "Navigate to" option (not just a "Point to" option), so that once the user clicks on an element to drill down, the next Step of the tour appears on the dedicated drill-down page (which has a slightly different URL).

From what I can see, I don't think my use-case is possible with Intercom, but I wanted to sanity check that just in-case I've missed something?

There MAY be a workaround if having a "new" tour begin once they hit the additional page, but that would be a HUGE admin burden on our side (as there's about 5 different widgets you can drill into via the main dashboard).

Hope this all makes sense!

Cheers,

Tami

cc @jay k11​ 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@tami​ If I get it right then it's absolutely possible to do that. If you set the pointer to "Click on Element" instead of just pointing at the element, then your page will register it as a normal click and the tour should continue on the new URL. You might run into issues while creating the tour (e.g. editor might not navigate to the new URL every time) and if you want to edit the step on the new URL you always have to start with the step prior to that so that the editor also navigates to the new URL.

If you have more questions, just let me know.

Hey Kev, thanks so much for the speedy reply!

I hope it's okay, I've whipped up a quick video reply with a couple of follow up questions:

https://www.loom.com/share/d26f0152dadd4d9c9fcc243c312d1cf1/p>

Thanks so much in advance!

@kevin b​ I think I've figured it out!

@tami​ how did you solve it, same issue here. clicking on a button to route to a url with dynamic ID makes the tour lose it's grip

@Green Bowtie 365

I'm sorry to say that I actually hadn't figured it out and we've ended up going with a third party onboarding platform (Userflow) which handles our dynamic URLs and dynamic widgets (elements to click on) much more easily.

It was definitely a shame as we use Intercom for everything else, but was necessary for our platform!