Answered

Conversation reply failing with 403

• 31 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Through our monitoring systems we’ve identified that sometimes API calls to https://api.intercom.io/conversations/{id}/reply are failing with a 403 response. The documentation is not clear on why this would happen. We’re seeing this ~3% of the time.

icon

Best answer by Jacob Cox 6 June 2023, 23:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Seth Alexander !

There could be a number of factors at play here depending on the User the conversation is associated with, the Admin who is associated with the reply, and that Admin’s permissions within Intercom. I’ve created a conversation with our Support team from your question. They’ll be able to reach out to you to get specific details such as a sample conversation URL that ran into that 403 response. There may be something that they can find in our logs to help clarify things!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Seth Alexander !

I mentioned this in our chat conversation but I wanted to respond here as well in case someone else runs into this issue.

I can see in your Messenger Settings menu that you have replies disabled for Users after the conversation has been closed for 3 days. This conversation was closed on May 11th (20 days prior to the API call), so that's why you couldn't reply to it and received those 403 errors.

Below is a screenshot (from my workspace) of where you can find those settings.

Cursor_and_Messenger___Omnichannel___Narnia__TEST____Intercom.png?expires=1686089851&signature=b62d5b4c953533eb160edfbc04ab490a04a520cc8e4b557a8ec98dbba0c94b77&resize=516x

I hope that helps explain things for you!