Answered

Are there plans to allow embedding videos starting at a certain timecode?

• 2 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Hey,

Youtube allows you to link to a video starting at a certain timecode. Are there any plans to not strip that parameter and allow sharing videos this way?

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 7 February 2023, 03:45

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @stefan k12​ Racheal from the support engineer team here👋 

You can use a hyperlink to start your video at the correct timestamp, however I definitely agree having an option to embed would be beneficial! I'm not sure of anything on the immediate roadmap but I totally understand where you're coming from here and think you should have more control and flexibility here. I would love to pass this along as a feature request for the product team! This is a great idea for the @Product Wishlist​ 

@racheal​  Agree this would be helpful to have, it looks like there's probably some type of regex url cleaner on the link that would need to be modified to not remove some of these time stamps code or there would need to be a setting added to insert the start time into the underlying embed code. Not sure why this link would need cleaning in this case, I don't know what types of variables would break the player in order to warrant cleaning the url but I guess the team felt something was required.

@stefan k12​ I tried a number of the usual workarounds and couldn't find any exceptions unfortunately 😞

Even if you wanted to add time-stamped links to the page to trigger the embed which can be done on your own website for example, you'd need access to add some html to the Article in order to do that so it won't work as well.

Would be nice to see Articles include more apps and integrations instead of just the out-of-the-box tools, this way developers could help provide features to be used in the Help Center as well not just in the Inbox.

In the meantime, it seems like a link to the video is your best bet aside from uploading a video that starts right where you want it to start which isn't practical in most cases. But you could add some text to the article that says something like "at 0:50 in the below video you'll learn about Proactive Support"

Not ideal but could work the way Rachael shared in the meantime.

Pause the video where you want the viewer to begin watching the video. Right click within the YouTube video frame. From the right-click menu, select “get video URL at current time.” Now, paste the URL to wherever you are sharing the link.

GTA Beast

Thank you very much for providing the YouTube video frame selection information. 

APK Sheep

And I also want to change the style of the YouTube video frame, how can I do that?

APK Sheep