Skip to main content

Hello,

I am building up a suite of knowledge articles and have been adding alt-tag information wherever possible.

I wanted to know if Intercom automatically adds a null alt tag to any images that do not have alt tag data added or if I need to do this manually myself?

Just to note, null tag data is added into any alt tag if you want a screen reader to skip the image altogether. That way for any decorative images, for example, you don’t need to add a detailed description as it will not assist with the overall comprehension for the user and it also means that the user doesn’t get annoying and useless information when using a screen reader.

Thanks, Emma

Hi @Emma Spencer, thanks for reaching out 👋

Alt tags are not automatically added to images; instead, they must be manually entered to ensure accessibility for screen readers. You can simply enter use empty “” in the image description and the alt text will be made null.

After publishing and editing again, it looks like the empty alt text is removed - but it is kept on the image. I’m going to flag with with the Product team to avoid any confusion on this item.

It would also be great to see an additional option of ignore for screen readers added to Article image options,  I would encourage you to flag this over on our Product Wishlist page as a feature request for the team to review.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions on this 🚀