Skip to main content

Somewhere along the line, I found the URL for view of the help system our clients will use. That formula is intercom.help/<myProduct>/en. That page appears as it always did. But when I click on any of the collections in it, I see the error "This site can't be reached.Check for an error in help.<myproduct>.com".

I just noticed that the top-level descriptor for an article has a maximum number of characters. Is that the error that causes the entire help system to fail?

If so:
a) Lots of stuff written. I now need to step through them and check them all (had to do that in any case).
b) A more “in your face” warning that the help system will fail would have been nice.

Or is there some other cause for the error I’m seeing?

Hey @ericMB 👋 Jacques here from the Support Team.

From what I can tell, the typical character limit for an article title is 255 characters.

While the system allows titles up to that limit, it's generally best practice to keep titles shorter for better readability and usability. This limit ensures that titles are not too long and helps prevent display issues in various places, like the help center or in-app messages.

Apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you. As a way to streamline, renaming the titles, you could consider using our REST API. You could List all Articles and then update each article to change their titles.

Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out to our support team is you require more help with this!