Skip to main content

It’s the second time I encounter the same pain-point at a company: keeping our help center’s articles accurate as our release cadence accelerates. Our doc is becaming outdated. We create new articles for new features, but we’re always lacking the resources to update existing content impacted by those changes. That’s problematic because our product is available on iOS, Android, and the web, with small but important differences across platforms. To make things even worse, we are based in the EU and support three languages. The discrepancies between these languages became substantial, leading to increased support tickets…

Hi @Victor Leibovici , I am connecting you with @Beth-Ann our Senior Knowledge Manager, superstar ✨ and subject matter expert,  for advice and support on that 🙌

@Victor Leibovici I’d be very interested to connect with you to talk about this topic as well, I’ve been seeing teams with this issue and one thing that’s very interesting is how Fin AI implementation helps become a forcing function for keeping the help documentation up to date and it could also help free up the time of team members in order to dedicate more time to maintaining documentation as well.   We’re seeing this already for a team that we’ve helped enable Fin AI, it highlights issues with content and Fin incorporates an “Improve” workflow that guides you through all the sources of the content that need attention. I’ve been looking into some ideas for an integrated solution that might also help with this so I’d be interested to understand more of use case and issues you’ve seen to keep those in mind while creating solutions. 

Hey @Victor Leibovici  👋 I’m the Senior Knowledge Manager at Intercom.

We’ve had to adjust our knowledge management priorities and resources to keep pace with our rapidly evolving product. Here’s an overview of the key changes we've implemented:

• As @Nathan Sudds mentioned, with Fin enabled to handle a large portion of conversations, we’ve been able to reallocate resources from our frontline support team. This has given 13 agents dedicated time to audit and update articles affected by product changes, saving them as drafts to publish when updates go live.
  • While we still have only one full-time knowledge manager, my role has expanded from managing the Help Center to overseeing all customer support content. This includes public articles, internal articles, macros, and snippets, ensuring no content is missed when product changes are made.
  • Product Managers bring me into the loop before shipping any changes. For major releases, PMs will also help review existing content and identify impacted articles. I typically get at least four weeks' notice to create new content, and I rely on our support agents for many of the necessary updates.
  • We’ve centralized all content in our Knowledge Hub, making it easier to track what needs review for each product release.
  • We also encourage all teams — from support agents to customer success managers — to actively use the Help Center. They submit Back-office tickets when they spot outdated content, and the same group of support agents who audit content also action these requests weekly.

As you can see, knowledge management has very much become a shared responsibility, with PMs and support agents being more hands-on with updates. I’m currently discussing with our product teams how we can use AI to alleviate some of the manual effort that goes into maintaining knowledge and I think we’ve got some cool features in the pipeline to address this…

Hope this insight is helpful!

Woa! Thank you for this very detailed answer @Beth-Ann. I’m really looking forward for those researches on how Ai can help you in some of those manual tasks. If it’s not meant to be internal tools, I would love to set that up as we do not have anyone owning the knowledge management and have little to no bandwidth with our Cx for content…