Answered

Emails from Third Parties as Side Conversation

• 14 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi Guys,

Need someone’s advise on the best practices to implement this sort of workflow.

Lets assume that there is only 3 parties involved in this “workflow”. 

Parties Email Address Comments
Client client@gmail.com Client doesn’t email directly. He “requests a quote” using our website and then automated email is sent to our sales AND  BCC’ed to an outside contractor. So we do have a full control of how the email is sent. 
Sales Agent sales@mycompany.com Our Sales Agent (Has full access to Intercom)
Outside Contractor tech@gmail.com  Third Party Tech (Has NO access to Intercom)

1. Price Quote Requesed on the website .
    Automated Email Sent (via wordpress, not intercom): 
    To: sales@mycompany.com
    Reply-to: client@gmail.com 
    BCC:  tech@gmail.com 

<PRODUCT SPECS>

Our sales doesn’t respond to the email and patiently wait for contractor to reply to us with a quote.

2. Outside Contractor’s Email Reply: 
    To: sales@mycompany.com

< YOUR QUOTE >

The contractor never replies directly to our client, instead he replies to our automated email and then our sale agent relays info to client.

3. Sales sends an email to the client and providing him with a quote. 

Now this setup worked perfectly when we used gmail, as all of the conversation between 3 parties (client, sales and contractor) were in a single thread.  But in Intercom, we have to deal with 2 seperate threads. 

Idially i’d like to either:
(a) Create a side-conversation when tech replies in step #2 
(b) Add tech’s reply as a note to a conversation 

Thank you for your suggestions. 

icon

Best answer by Jacob Cox 23 March 2024, 23:05

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Ethan R. Hey there!

I just looked over what you’re looking to accomplish here. I’m assuming when you way that you want to create a side-conversation or add the tech’s reply as a note, that you’re actually saying you want this process automated some how, instead of your team manually doing it. I’m not confident that this is achievable as described due to the fact that there would need to be some way for the system to know which of your User’s Conversations is supposed to be associated to which of your Tech’s quotes.

It might be possible to use our Webhooks and REST API to build something out that would achieve option ‘B’ from above. I think the best path forward is for me to send this question over to our Support Team for them to dig into the specifics of what you’re trying to achieve. They will reach out to you via the Email address that you signed up with, early this coming week so be on the lookout for that!