Answered

How do I prevent a conversation/ticket re-opening when the reply is a thank you

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We have noticed in certain circumstances it would be good if the customer reply didn’t re-open a conversation or ticket such as when a customer thanks us for our help. Its nice to hear that the customer is happy but we don’t want the conversation to reopen. I know I can set it so conversations don’t reopen at all, but this then creates a new conversation which is worse that one reopening. Has anyone got any ideas on how best to resolve this?

icon

Best answer by bernice 24 May 2024, 16:30

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @david meakin 👋 So as you noted, you can disable reopens by customers via workflows and in your Messenger settings:

Markup 2024-02-20 at 12.24.56.png

If you wish to utilise this setting then you will need to do so for Visitors & Users. 😁

You have the option of disabling customer replies within workflows, or creating a workflow that will automatically close any conversations if the message contains something like “thanks” and adding a wait to allow the customer send another follow up if needed or close if not:

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@bernice Great suggestion, I’d just add one note for @david meakin to be careful to make sure this isn’t just looking for the word thanks in the message because it may close any message a user says “thanks” in a message they do expect a response from so you’d probably want this to match exactly a few key phrases if that’s the full contents of the message to avoid accidentally closing something the user would still be waiting on a reply from.  i.e. “Can you send me more info on that topic? Thanks!”

This might be another interesting case for Fin in a Workflow step where it could detect the sentiment of the message and if it’s just a sign off and thank you then close or if it contains “thanks” but it’s actually still requiring a response. 

Sidenote, as someone who’s worked frontline support and helps create automations now it’s so funny when you have that urge to send the last Thanks note but feel bad that you know it’s going to reopen the conversation LOL, the struggle is real 😂

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks (no pun intended) @Nathan Sudds @bernice great suggestions and I will take these onboard.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@david meakin  You are very welcome! Good luck 🙌 (This response was not automated 😂)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @bernice 

If I set this as you suggested above what happens when a customer sends a reply after 5 minutes. Does it create a new conversation?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Thanks @Nathan Sudds  😁 Sorry about the delay getting back to you here, @david meakin! Once you add the step to Disable customer reply, they will not be able to send a reply in this conversation:

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@bernice I get it wont go to the one that replies are disabled to and messenger wont allow you to send a message to it. But what happens to the message if they do send one via email, if the conversation they are replied to is blocked from being replied to. Does that email then force a new conversation?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@david meakin So to prevent email conversations from reopening, you can adjust this setting in Intercom:

• Navigate to Settings > Email > Other settings and toggle on "Create new conversations when customers reply to closed conversations”.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@bernice I take it with the above settings intercom just ignores replies sent by email then?.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@david meakin fixed the above for you! Hope this helps 👍

Hi @bernice 

If I set this as you suggested above what happens when a customer sends a reply after 5 minutes. Does it create a new conversation?

Hey @david meakin  👋 We made a quick video on how this feature works, what some of its benefits are and what enabling it will look like for your customers. 

Let us know if you found it helpful and if you have any other tips you’d like us to cover!