Answered

Opting in

• 23 November 2023
  • 3 replies

I am trying to created a button in an email and link to the subscription opt in page. Used the link + used ID, but when testing I still end up with technical difficulties page. When checking the unsubscribe link in old email it works fine. Suggestions?

icon

Best answer by aykut.aydin 28 November 2023, 05:58

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey @Lina Areklew 

So it sounds like you used the link as shown in our preview page. For this link to work, you will need to provide the user’s Intercom ID (The unique identifier for the contact which is given by Intercom), and not the user_id (the id which is provided by you).

The user’s Intercom ID can be obtained via REST API (Search Contacts). Could you please check and confirm you have used the Intercom ID of the user in your link?

Let us know how it goes.

Yes, that is correct. I have used the used ID, not the Intercom user ID so first problem solved, thanks! 😃 Second problem is how to obtain the API connection. We only use gmail in our company and do all of our contact with customers via Intecom, so what is the API connection to be connected to so to say?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi there @Lina Areklew !

To connect to the Intercom REST API you will need to create an app in your Developer Hub in order to get an Access Token that you can use to make calls to your Intercom workspace.

To locate the access tokens for your workspace, go to the Developer Hub and then navigate to Your Apps.

Here you'll find a list of all the apps you've built, including the workspace the app is installed on and the production workspace's access token.

To find the access token you'll need to locate the private app with the same name as your workspace's name.

Once you've located this you'll want to click on the app's name. This will take you to the app's basic information view, like this 👇
​

Next, you'll want to locate your access-token details by clicking the Authentication link in the navigation bar.

Along with details regarding the scope of the token. (i.e. what data it can access and what it can do), you can also make updates to change the scope of your access token and more by clicking the Edit button, like you see below 👇

If you have any questions about the Authorization page for an app (access token scopes, OAuth, or their use) you can find a lot of detail in our documentation guide about them here.