Skip to main content
Answered

users have multiple conversations, is there a way to prevent this from happening so i can track their chat history

• 8 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi, I use intercom to chat with my clients on android and iOS. I have noticed that after a few days, on the android device we get clients being prompted to send a message instead of continuing with the previous conversation. is there a way to prevent users from opening these new conversations? I have turned it off in messenger setttings and mobile SDKs but even still after a few weeks, the recent conversations changes to send us a message and starts a new conversation all together

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hey @First-Pharmacy 👋 I understand you’ve already adjusted your Messenger settings to have the setting to "Prevent users or visitors from having multiple inbound conversations" turned on.

This will encourage users to continue their existing conversation if they have one open from the last 3 days, rather than starting a new one. It's important to note that this setting only affects conversations initiated from the Messenger and does not apply to new conversations from other channels like email or other inbound apps.

You'll find more on this in this article from our Help Center ⬇️

Set up and customize the Messenger

If you believe your users should still have not been able to contact you via a new Conversation, please reach out to us via the Messenger 💬

Thank you Bernice. This is exactly what i was looking for. The problem is I have many clients who message me say after a week or a month, and this comes in as a new conversation. Is there a way to have  the most recent conversation show indefinitely instead of have it showing for only messages within the last  3 days?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi First-Pharmacy, It’s Mat from the Support Engineering Team 😀

You can only prevent your customers from having multiple open conversations in Intercom. You can find it in the Messenger Settings page here 👇

This won't disable the ability for the users to open a new conversation when there is none open at the moment.

If you want to have the ability to look for previous conversations of the same user, you can add a Recent Conversations Inbox app in the right-hand side of the Inbox window Please let me know if you have any questions about this 😸

Please let me know if you have any questions about this 😸

Hi Mat, thanks for the response! I have already enabled the option of preventing multiple inbound conversations as seen below:

However for clients that have not been using the app for a week or more, the option of ‘Recent Conversations’ no longer appears and instead clients are prompted to send a new message and therefore start a new conversation chain.

This is what clients see

The above screenshot is with the prevent multiple conversations option turned on. I want to prevent clients from starting a new conversation after they have been off the app for a week or more. Even with the setting on, clients coming in after a while will always start a new conversation which is what we are trying to avoid. How can we have the ‘Recent Conversations’ widget always visible irrespective of how long the client has been off the app?