Answered

How can I display a vertical (9:16 format) video in a Post? Similar to a YouTube Short

• 23 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Product Tours “work on desktop only. It doesn't currently work on mobile devices (including tablets) in the browser or in mobile apps.” So we had to implement Post messages for our webapp mobile users in order to support their onboarding with videos.

I want to allow our mobile users to view an onboarding video in a vertical 9:16 format, however I am unable so far to find the right solution:

1. I tried inserting the video in my Post, but it’s displayed in a small size like a snippet of the original video. Also, I cannot hide the sender and the video is played by default without sound (with the button to unmute not very visible),
  2. Then I tried embedding a YouTube video. This seemed to work since the play button allowed it to be played with volume and opened in YouTube if helpful for a better view. However it is shown on a wide view instead of the vertical (9:16 view).

Can I embed a "Short" YouTube video to be displayed vertically?
Any suggestion to show a vertical video on a post?
Should I try a different platform to embed the video?

icon

Best answer by Eden 1 November 2023, 18:20

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Rafael 👋 Eden from the support engineer team here.

I see that you wrote into the Messenger and spoke with a Support teammate about this already, but I’ll copy and paste that answer below as well for visibility.👇

At the moment, Intercom does not support the ability to upload videos in a vertical format-- they'll always display in a 4:3 aspect ratio, no matter the platform you embed from. It looks like this has been submitted as a feature request, as we can see how useful it would be to be able to have more flexibility there! 

Thanks, would definitely appreciate that!

Would also love to do this. We want to embed how-to videos with our app and the 4:3 layout makes the videos too small to view.

It would be really good to have vertical format supported by Intercom. Because it’s really suitable for mobile users. Especially, as it’s mentioned above, for new users welcoming video embedding at time of onboarding. Though, for all other how-to or explainer videos, beside the welcoming reel, we’re well with horizontal format. I’d say we even prefer the 4:3 horizontal aspect like the e-learning video for university example, as it gives more options for pieces of info to show at one shoot. It also helps to making video more informative and understandable as well as to have it suitable for embedding or sending straight away from YouTube.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey @McAlester & @G'day , Bernice here from the Support Engineering team at Intercom🔧  

I agree that vertical video format support would be great to see in Intercom - this has been added as a feature request and hopefully it’s something we can see soon!

I would recommend keeping an eye on New at Intercom for product releases and updates ✨ 🚀

That’s greate! Looking forward and keeping an eye on the updates. ^_^