Answered

How to tell if a checklist has been completed?

• 29 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi there,

I love the new checklist feature, and am wanting to use them to onboard new users instead of tours, as they obviously work across pages, show progress etc, and are generally more informative and less intrusive. The biggest issue I’m having right now though is that I can’t find any way to determine whether a checklist has actually been completed.

Basically, my scenario is this: Create an ‘onboarding’ checklist, have an intercom banner, intercom tooltip or in-app button that initiates the checklist on the home page that is only shown when the ‘onboarding’ check list is incomplete. Yet it appears this isn’t possible as there is no way to determine whether the checklist is complete or not.

As an aside, it also appears that it isn’t possible to launch a checklist from a banner. Do they not support smart links?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Milan 29 March 2023, 12:02

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Michael Deeble 

Here are my thoughts: 

• In order to initiate a check-list to pop-up you can use the full URL (set it in the “Additional ways to share your checklist” section under the “Rules” section when you are editing your Checklist). You can use that URL for banners too. It’s not a smart link, but it should work. Other than that, if you want to setup a button to open the checklist, I advise using the JS command such as Intercom('startChecklist', 32278994); (in the same section just under “Custom trigger using code”). This will then not force the page to reload as it would with URL.  
  • It’s true that you do not have a simple overview of who completed the Checklists but here’s how you can create a workaround - for each Checklist create a Tag (you can even have different tags for one Checklist such as “Checklist-1-received” “Checklist-1-viewed” “Checklist-1-completed”, etc… than for each Checklist you can create a Series and, here’s the trick, in the Entry rules of the Series, you can set if the user has received, viewed, completed, hit the Checklist goal and select which checklist. Then the next step after the entry rule would be to tag that person with relevant tag. Then you can use tags to filter the audience… 

Series are really powerful and I often use them just for this kind of automation, not just for sending the messages :) 

Hope that helps :) 

Thanks for all of that info Milan, much appreciated

• I can definitely see the value of using the JS command to launch the checklist, and will probably do that if smart links are never supported in banners (fingers crossed they’re wip). It does somewhat defeat the purpose of using intercom for dynamic content though; the ability to keep it out of the development cycle. I did try the url method, however it always opens the link in a new tab via a redirect, so breaks the user flow completely. Not really an option in my specific case unfortunately.
  • I’ll look into the checklist tagging method, that could do the trick, even if a bit over baked!

Following on from the above, I’ve tried out the series approach to tag users on checklist completion etc, and that works really well. Thanks again for your help :)

Opening the checklist using the banner / checklist url method definitely doesn’t work though as it takes the user to another url first. Not particularly useful for an SPA unfortunately. Hopefully intercom sort this out. Seems odd that it’s missing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You’re welcome @Michael Deeble ! 

I totally get you on opening URL in new tab, and I’m pretty sure Intercom has this on the roadmap considering the rate of the development they have. Just in case let’s we should wishlist it. Glad that the Checklist trick with Series is working ;)  

@Diana Tripac  we are missing the Product Wishlist mention. :) Or did you plan to have it in some other way? 

Thanks again Milan :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Diana Tripac  we are missing the Product Wishlist mention. :) Or did you plan to have it in some other way? 

Product wishlist is now Idea Exchange :)  I will ask the team if we can tag it as before under the previous and new name 👍

It seems it’s not possible anymore to add the checklist variables to the entry rule of a series. Has someone found another workaround?

I’ve tried out the series approach to tag users on checklist completion etc, and that works really well. Thanks again for your help :)