Answered

Identity verification for web fails for new users only

• 19 July 2023
  • 2 replies

I set up identity verification for web about a year ago and it has been working fine until recently when I noticed that for new users the initial ping request fails with the following error:

{
"type": "error.list",
"request_id": "00008k...",
"errors": [
{
"code": "invalid_document",
"message": "either_email_or_user_id_present validation failed"
}
]
}

My application sends email address only and generates a user_hash HMAC against the email only. I have verified that the new users are sending the correct email and user_hash HMAC using the hash checker tool in the admin web console. 

What’s odd is that older users pass validation and the ping request succeeds while newer users fail (same code path). I’ve compared the request/response for successful and failing users and I don’t see any difference. I’ve also tried a variety of new email addresses in case there is some email validation I’m unaware of but all new user emails consistently fail. Has anyone else experienced this?

icon

Best answer by Phil P 25 July 2023, 16:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey @Phil P 👏🏻

Larissa here from Customer Support.

Let me raise this with the team so we can investigate and see if there is any advice we can give here 🕵️‍♂️ 

Hi @Larissa Alberti,

I meant to reply to this thread today as Kyle on the Customer Support team determined it was the "Prevent updates via the Messenger" setting in Settings > People Data where the email address field was not able to be updated by the Messenger so it was blocking the creation of new users. I reverted that setting to allow updates and new users are now being registered correctly with Identity Verification enabled.

Thanks for your help.