Answered

Is it possible to delete or hide old messages sent to customers in their message center?

• 12 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

When we were first setting up Intercom we had 2 people testing out features such as sending a welcome message to all customers and someone else testing the message feature by sending a test message to all customers.

Now, when a customer opens the intercom message center they see a bunch of fake messages or old welcome messages, and they don't go away. This is on EVERY customer and I didn't realize it until I took over intercom.

What if our customers use Intercom a lot? Will they just have a loooong list of conversations here?

icon

Best answer by Racheal 13 January 2023, 00:44

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @ashley c12​ Racheal from the support engineer team here👋 

Is there any particular reason you haven't deleted the messages in your workspace? If you delete the original Post or Chat it will also remove it from their Messenger.

I hope that helps!

Userlevel 1

Hi @racheal​ That is a great question! Nope - no reason at all! I didn't know I Can you help with this answer? "What if our customers use Intercom a lot? Will they just have a loooong list of conversations showing every time the navigate to messages?"

Hey Racheal,

"Is there any particular reason you haven't deleted the messages in your workspace? If you delete the original Post or Chat it will also remove it from their Messenger."

I see where you can delete the USER and their Conversation history but not just the conversations. I ran tests etc. and want to get rid of those conversations, they are closed but show up in messenger. Let me know. What am I missing?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @greg c​ 

Here we are specifically referring to Outbound Posts and Chats, which can be deleted. Conversations cannot, unless you delete the user then all of the Conversations will be deleted as well. You can delete Conversation parts, but not the entire Conversation.

I hope this clarifies!

I have the same problem, cant dele a conversation. And it is creating a long list on user/customer side.

In my opinion it would be a good idea that if not all but only one week or 3 day old messages are displayed for the customer. Rather than all the previous messages sitting in the history.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I agree with the other users on here. That you should only show recent active conversations. Perhaps closed or resolved should be under a tab or button or inactive after x number of days.