Answered

Issues triggering workflows in an SPA using GTM

• 28 March 2024
  • 3 replies

I have intercom messenger installed in my SPA using GTM. In various places in the product I have buttons with the key value pair data-testid="get-help". 

The issue I’m having is that when the site loads one button with the above data-testid is visible and clicking it triggers the messenger as required. See first image below, help button on the left triggers a workflow in the messenger (all fake data btw).

I then have the following, which shows when a user clicks a different button and in this space we have another help button (see top left of the green space). This button again has data-testid="get-help" and operates in the exact same way as the other help button but when clicking it, it doesn’t trigger the workflow in the messenger. 

I don’t understand why it’s not triggering the workflow and how to resolve this. Any help/guidance appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Ebenezer.Laleye 3 April 2024, 14:55

View original

3 replies

Can’t edit for some reason so an improved post below…

I have intercom messenger installed in my SPA using GTM. In various places in the product I have buttons with the key value pair data-testid="get-help". 

In intercome I have a workflow set to trigger a messenger chat when buttons with the data-testid="get-help" are clicked.

The issue I’m having is that when the site loads one button with the above data-testid is visible and clicking it triggers the messenger as required. See first image below, help button on the left triggers a workflow in the messenger (all fake data btw).

But when I open a new button appears (with the data-testid) on the page without the URL changing it does not trigger the workflow. 

Below is what shows when a user clicks a different button and in this space we have another help button (see top left of the green space). This button again has data-testid="get-help" and operates in the exact same way as the other help button but when clicking it, it doesn’t trigger the workflow in the messenger. 

I don’t understand why it’s not triggering the workflow and how to resolve this. Any help/guidance appreciated. 

Now solved by using the custom launcher

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @Kieran Witt ! Ebenezer here from Engineering Support👋.

It looks like you already wrote into the Support Team and got an answer from my colleague Joel.

I’ll repost the answer here just in case;

If you’d like the Messenger to launch from a specific button, link or element in your app, site or mobile app you can create a custom launcher. For example, you can trigger the Messenger to open when a customer clicks on your ‘Talk to us’ button or chat icon.

This article will guide you through the process of creating a custom launcher so that it feels completely at home on your product, site or mobile app.

Note: You can add as many custom launchers to your product, website or mobile app as you wish!