Skip to main content

We upgraded the Android Intercom SDK from version 15.7.1 to 15.9.1. After pushing out a new release of our app, we noticed that we were not getting crash reports from Sentry. We use Sentry as well as Firebase Crashlytics to analyze crash reports.

After investigation, we determined that the Intercom Android SDK also uses Sentry. Updating the Intercom SDK had overwritten our configuration. This resulted in Sentry being turned off for our app.

Manifest merger failed : Attribute meta-data#io.sentry.auto-init@value value=(true) from AndroidManifest.xml:45:55-75
is also present at io.intercom.android:intercom-sdk-base:15.10.3] AndroidManifest.xml:25:13-34 value=(false).
Suggestion: add 'tools:replace="android:value"' to <meta-data> element at AndroidManifest.xml to override.

Sentry discourages usage in third-party SDKs (e.g. the Intercom Android SDK).

“It's considered bad practice to use Sentry SDKs in third-party plugins, packages, and libraries (such as payment SDKs or embeddable widgets) meant to be consumed by other apps.” — https://docs.sentry.io/platforms/

Your change is frustrating for multiple reasons:

1. You violated the best practices of a popular third-party library that is likely used by many of your customers
  2. You released this update with no documentation, notice, or warning

The workaround to fix this issue is to override the Intercom SDK sentry config:

<meta-data android:name="io.sentry.auto-init" tools:replace="android:value" android:value="true" />

We have no way of knowing how this will affect your Sentry instance but we need Sentry to work for our app.

Hey @ryan.payne 👋 Jacques here from support engineering.

Thanks for reaching out and sharing this with us. I can understand how frustrating it must be to encounter these issues after upgrading the Intercom Android SDK. It’s not ideal when changes like these interfere with existing configurations, especially with critical tools like Sentry.

It looks like this question is very specific to your own workspace. I think your best bet here would be to reach out to our Support team as they would be best placed to handle this for you. They will be able to do some digging into your issue and see what the way forward is.

I’d encourage you to contact them through the Messenger and they’ll reply as soon as they can!