Answered

Beginning a tour on a URL in a multi-tenanted app

• 20 February 2023
  • 2 replies

How do you guys handle multi-tenancy? Our app is structure much like Intercom, where our urls are presented as https://app.brand.com/{tenantId}/path. I haven't been able to get tours working where they trigger by URL, since the URL is different depending on the tenant you are signed in to.

I've tried using the Company website attribute as a dynamic URL prefix, but this hasn't worked.

A screen shot of the Intercom UI, using the "Company Website" attribute in an attempt to prefix a URL. 

The main reason I'm seeking to do this, is I'm setting up a checklist where the step is meant to Launch the product tour.

How does Intercom manage to get this working?

icon

Best answer by Racheal 23 February 2023, 22:38

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @ryan b12​ Racheal from the support engineer team here👋 

If your website uses dynamic URLs that’s no problem, you can still use Product Tours. When you’re building your tour, enter your URL as normal and build away. Once the building is complete, head to the audience steps and adjust your URL settings. With dynamic URLs we would suggest using URL "contains", then selecting a consistent element across your URL.

Update_to_Saved_Reply__Product_Tours_-_Using_dynamic_URLs_in_Product_Tours_·_Issue__584_·_intercom_support-enablementIf you are selecting to send your URL in a message or bot, you can add your variable to your URL here. Note: If you are using dynamic URLs make sure the UI you build the tour on will still match for the user receiving the tour.

dynamic URLsIf you're still running into issues feel free to reach out to support and we can help get you sorted!

Thanks, that was very helpful for the time being. I was hoping there would be a solution compatible with the "Use your tour everywhere" feature, so we could link out via Intercom Messenger etc, but that doesn't seem possible yet (what you linked at the bottom of your post doesn't work for me). As I said in my main post - my ultimate goal was to use the new Checklist feature to link the user directly to a tenanted page. the "Go to page URL" action with company attributes doesn't seem to work for me yet.