Answered

How do I open a messenger window from a link in a product tour?

• 16 June 2023
  • 4 replies

I want to open an intercom messenger in the product without use clicking on the messenger icon.

For example, I want to add a link in a product tour that says "Contact us", which opens a messenger window when user clicks it.

icon

Best answer by Eden 22 June 2023, 23:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Chuck Taylor 👋 Eden from the support engineer team here.

There isn’t a way to add a link to a Product Tour button that will trigger the Messenger to open on the page, however it is possible to set up the Messenger to launch from a specific button, link or element in your app, site or mobile app using a custom launcher. As a workaround you could add a button on the page for users to click on after completing the tour. I’ve included those instructions below: 

1. Pass the ID of the element you're using as a custom launcher to open the Messenger (e.g., "#my_custom_link" ). Or you can specify multiple links by passing a class instead (e.g., ".my_custom_class_name")

2. Add the ID or class to the HTML element that you want the Messenger to open when clicked. For example, if you want the Messenger to open if someone clicks a link to your support email address:

<a id="my_custom_link" href="mailto:HELP@YOUR-APP.COM">Support</a>
Note: Including your support address as the link destination works well as a fallback, so if a visitor doesn't have JavaScript enabled in their browser, they can email your team.

3. Add this line to your IntercomSettings snippet:

custom_launcher_selector:'#my_custom_link'

Like this: 

window.intercomSettings = {  app_id: "YOUR_APP_ID",  custom_launcher_selector:'#my_custom_link'};

This information is mentioned within this Intercom article as well. 

I don’t undeterred your response can someone do a live call with me and share my screen? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @Chuck Taylor Racheal from the support engineer team here👋 

Our team currently doesn’t offer phone support as we find using Intercom to communicate very effective for sharing links, articles, and screenshots. As an online support company, we believe that we can get you the best answers with the most information right here over the chat. We do offer scheduled video calls as part of our Premier Support add-on. If that’s something you’re interested in upgrading to, let me know!

Otherwise if you could clarify what you are confused about here or let me know if you’d rather be forwarded into the support team to take a better look! The tldr; here would be that you cannot link to the Messenger from a button in your Product Tour. You can create a button on your site that opens the Messenger, using the method Eden outlined above.

I do not understand the initial response at all. If you cannot speak with customers can you please create a video tutorial with an actual example of a web app with a product tour so I can understand how to implement your solution?  I need detailed video instructions on how to do the following: 

1. Pass the ID of the element you're using as a custom launcher to open the Messenger (e.g., "#my_custom_link" ). Or you can specify multiple links by passing a class instead (e.g., ".my_custom_class_name")

2. Add the ID or class to the HTML element that you want the Messenger to open when clicked. For example, if you want the Messenger to open if someone clicks a link to your support email address:

<a id="my_custom_link" href="mailto:HELP@YOUR-APP.COM">Support</a>
Note: Including your support address as the link destination works well as a fallback, so if a visitor doesn't have JavaScript enabled in their browser, they can email your team.

3. Add this line to your IntercomSettings snippet:

custom_launcher_selector:'#my_custom_link'

Like this: 

window.intercomSettings = {  app_id: "YOUR_APP_ID",  custom_launcher_selector:'#my_custom_link'};