Answered

How to ensure that account users see Tour ONCE after feature launch & then never again ?

• 24 January 2021
  • 9 replies

We are preparing to launch a new feature on an existing page, for which I am building a product tour in Intercom.

What I need is for the product tour to automatically start once we deploy our feature and the tour to production environment in early Feb.

There shall be 2 user classes –

1. Existing account users who login after our feature launch – they should see the tour ONLY on their 1st visit since launch and not repeatedly after that.
  2. Net new users opening an account in say March – who would see the tour ONLY on their 1st visit launch and not repeatedly after that.

Have set ‘Show Automatically’ = ON, with no settings for URL or users. Also set ‘Use Everywhere’ = ON

Questions:

1. My product tour didn’t seem to start automatically when I had everything blank including users in the Show Automatically section; but it worked when I switched users to visitors. However, our site is a secure site, not public site. Also, I fear it didn't behave exactly for other test users...
  2. I don’t see any explicit setting to automatically stop the tour after 1st view (or after N views) – where can I find this? Or 1 view only per product tour is a default setting. For repeatedly making changes to the tour and testing with same test user, how do I clear this setting?

Tour does work with the link created under Use your tour everywhere. Please help.

icon

Best answer by Roy 24 January 2021, 21:56

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @user855​ , Nice that you are launching a new feature, through that Intercom product tour will be so useful in this case.

When the Intercom product tour set-on automatic, it will show only once per matching user. This is actually how does it work, not possible to change that.

Q - My product tour didn’t seem to start automatically when I had everything blank including users in the Show Automatically section; but it worked when I switched users to visitors. However, our site is a secure site, not public site. Also, I fear it didn't behave exactly for other test users...

A - That's because this user already matched the following product tour, Change user account and test it out.

Also, make sure the product tour setting set for users too:

Users 

Q - I don’t see any explicit setting to automatically stop the tour after 1st view (or after N views) – where can I find this?

Or 1 view only per product tour is a default setting. For repeatedly making changes to the tour and testing with same test user, how do I clear this setting?

A - As I mentioned earlier, it's not possible to set this up. Every product tour automatically matches one time per user.

One more thing okay?

You mentioned that you want to launch a product tour for the existing/new user. Please, make sure that new users will see feature-related tours 3/4 days after they sign-up. Cause:

• The users should match on-boarding tours first (If you have one);
  • They need some time to figure out the product;
  • It's a bad time to match new users directly to feature related tours.

To do this, you should apply the following rules:

Sign-Up 

I hope my reply was helpful here. Let me know if you have any further questions, Always happy to help = )

1. "Change user account and test it out. Also, make sure the product tour setting set for users too"... no, it is not working with users, even with other user accounts. I checked multiple accounts. It is working ONLY with 'visitors'.
  2. "Every product tour automatically matches one time per user."... so I got around this by duplicating the product tour and testing with the same user account. Again, duplicate tour did not work with users setting, but works with visitors setting.
  3. "One more thing okay...." ... yes, I agree & am aware of the sign-up setting; but so far, I am not getting a high degree of confidence with the product tour settings... I want a basic use case to work every time, before playing with additional settings.

This is what I learnt from all my testing:

1. Seems to work in un-targeted mode with 'visitors', and targeted mode with 'users' [un-targeted shall seemingly satisfy original requirements for now]
  2. With 'visitors' -
    1. When user logs in and goes to page for 1st time (as a new user or after feature launch) - based on cookies - the onboarding product tour triggers automatically!
    2. If user navigates to another page and returns to page in same session - product tour does not trigger. Phew!
    3. If user logs out and re-logs in after 5 mins - product tour does not trigger. Phew!
    4. If user force clears cache/cookies - and logs in to visit page - product tour triggers again (will not re-appear on consecutive visits or logins). Phew!
  3. Sharing the product tour URL - always shows the onboarding tour. Nice!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@user855​ , are you sure that the Intercom code installed correctly? Intercom has a different code for logged-in visitors:

https://www.intercom.com/help/en/articles/168-install-intercom-on-your-web-app-to-support-and-onboard-logged-in-users/p>

Hmm.... I'll need to check with developer but maybe that's the issue. What's the different between visitor code snippet and logged in user code snippet?

Just these 3 lines for logged in user?

name: "<%= current_user.name %>", // Full name

email: "<%= current_user.email %>", // Email address

created_at: "<%= current_user.created_at.to_i %>" // Signup date as a Unix timestamp

But when I switch from 'users' to 'visitors' then the past logged in users are showing... so would this imply that I have the logged in user code snippet?

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 3.30.04 PM

Userlevel 1
Badge

@user855​ , If product tour only triggering for Visitors, mostly problem with the Intercom tracking code.

So I was able to get my developer to add the username, email and signup date added to the code snippet and now 'users' setting works!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@user855​ , Good to hear that.

Let me know if you have any further questions about Product tours, Always happy to help. 🦄

Hey, i want to show the tour multiple time how can i do that