Answered

How to implement optional form fields in Product Tours

• 4 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I am building a Product Tour that walks users through a multi-step form. 

I have certain optional fields that I want the user to be able to fill, but not obliged to fill, e.g. Apartment/Suite/Building # for address.

If I set the step to Next or Done button, they can’t fill in the field.

If I set the step to Fill in the Field, they must fill in the field.

How can I manage this use-case?

Thanks,

Peter

icon

Best answer by Jacob Cox 10 June 2023, 19:00

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi there @Team Charged !

There currently isn’t a way to designate a field as optional in a Product Tour when filling in a form. I can totally understand how it would be a nice ability to have! 

I'm going to mark this as a Feature Request for our Product Team to consider implementing down the line! 

Perhaps you can have your Users type in N/A or some such filler text for those optional fields? I understand if that “solution” is less than ideal. Just hoping we can find some sort of workaround for you.

Another option could be to break your Tour up into 2 tours. You could have 1 of the tours lead up to the form and end with a call to action to have the User fill in the form. Then, when they submit the form, you could have that trigger the second half of the tour.

Let me know if you have any questions/issues around either of those possible workarounds.

Would love to hear if any other customers came up with any clever solutions to this limitation!

Hi,

I have this same problem however I’m curious how you would navigate through the second option. 
Would the lead-up to the form and the CTA still be on the same page as the submit form or the lead-up to the form start the tour on a separate page? 

My product tour starts here https://exampleio.com/-/organisations/Setup/Create

On this page, you enter your organisation name and address then click a button to create the organisation.

I’m not sure how in your example you would split this up when the tour starts on the same page. Also, what do you mean by ending it with a CTA and then submitting the form? These would just be sequences so how does a user interact with the CTA then follow on with the submit? 

If you can share any examples that would help.

Thanks

Steve

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Steve Martin !

There are a few ways one could set up that second option. I think the smoothest way is to have the first tour lead up to the filling in of the form. Have the last step of that Tour be a Post message that gives the User instructions to fill in the form. The User then finishes the Tour, completes the form, and submits your form. You could have the clicking of that form’s ‘Submit’ button call our JavaScript ‘startTour’ method. That would then trigger the second Tour to run.

(Note: if the form doesn’t have optional fields then you can step through all of them with the Tour and you don’t need to split the Tour up).