Answered

Tickets and Conversations

• 30 October 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello 🖐 

I’m working on building a chat application where customers in group chats can purchase items from inside the chat. I’m designing this in a way that uses APIs and Webhooks. I’ve been spending the last few days reading over the API documentation and am still uncertain about what best practices are regarding tickets and conversations. I know that I’ll need to open a conversation for my customers to be able to speak to support. Is it standard practice to open a ticket each time the conversation is opened? Also, from my understanding tickets can be converted into a conversation but there is no standard way to track tickets with conversations. Any insights would be greatly appreciated

icon

Best answer by Jacob Cox 6 November 2023, 00:28

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Spencer Hawkins !

To answer your question in simplest terms: No, it’s not standard practice to open a ticket each time a conversation is opened.

Tickets and Conversations are 2 separate tools to serve separate functions. Tickets are great for the type of issue that requires a customer to fill out a form such as returning a Product or reporting a bug. Conversations work better for less formalized situations such as a customer wants more details around the sizing of an eCommerce store’s men’s clothing line.

Sometimes a conversation will lead to a ticket being created due to where the conversation ultimately leads. 

Tickets can’t be converted into conversations, but conversations can (in some cases) be converted into tickets, most often you would be linking a ticket to a conversation, though.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by your last statement “there is no standard way to track tickets with conversations”. Can you clarify what you’re asking here?