Answered

GA4 Intercom Event Names follow Incorrect Naming Convention

• 17 May 2023
  • 2 replies

The Google Analytics Events that fire from Intercom don’t follow the proper Google Analytics 4 proper naming convention since they included spaces. 

Don't use spaces.

This creates issues especially for the Provided Email Address since it’s a common Conversion Event. It breaks when you try to call any of these events via API’s from Google Analytics 4.

icon

Best answer by cameron.gumley 8 June 2023, 02:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @JM Del Valle ! Cam with the Intercom Support Engineering team here.

Thanks for flagging this with us and providing that context around how this is affecting you. Let me touch base with our Product Engineering team to clarify whats happening with the naming conventions being used for these events - will get back to you with more details once I hear back from the team 👍

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Got an update for you on this @JM Del Valle 👍

We use spaces in Event names as this is what we used in Google Analytics prior to GA4, which had more relaxed naming conventions. We opted to continue using the Event names with spaces once the move was made to GA4 so as to minimize disruption to customers migrating over from Google Universal Analytics. Changing this convention would cause considerable disruption to a lot of customers.

That being said, there is a workaround you can use. Creating a modified Event will allow you to create a new Event with the same data, but a different name - one without spaces. Documentation on this can be found here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/10085872?hl=en&utm_id=ad#zippy=%2Ccreate-an-event-from-an-existing-event%2Crename-an-existing-event

I have submitted a Feature Request for the team to consider offering an option of Event names that conform to the GA4 naming convention, hopefully this is something they’re able to look into and build-out at some point in the near-future!

Let me know how you go with this workaround.