Answered

Jira for Tickets - Issues created from Workflows Not being Synced

• 30 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello all, 

Recently I Integrated Jira for Tickets on my Intercom workspace, I had no issues setting up the basics, and toggling on auto-create Jira issues upon Intercom ticket creation. However, the data being sent to the Jira Issue when dealing with tickets that carry additional custom attributes in them is limited. I was planning on creating workarounds, such as noting down the ticket details in the conversation upon ticket creation, so that the details could reflect in the Jira Issue comments, however upon building that workflow I found the workflow templates, which indicate that I could in fact include all the extra details in my Jira Issues.

After a dozen or so attempts, I found that the workflow method would create the Jira Issues successfully ( including all the data I wanted transferred ), however I was never able to get those tickets / issues created with this method to link automatically. As the ticket and issue would both be created, but there was no automatic sync between them unlike when those tickets / issues were created by the integration mapping in the settings.

Considering this is a Beta feature, I see this being fixed soon enough. Ideally the Tickets / Issues being linked automatically just like the tickets and issues created from the mapping from the settings of the integration do.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get this automatic sync between tickets and issues done? 

icon

Best answer by Jacob Cox 11 November 2023, 23:31

View original

7 replies

I just attempted the exact same thing using workflows and don’t see any additional information getting into the Jira ticket

I just attempted the exact same thing using workflows and don’t see any additional information getting into the Jira ticket

In order to transfer more details other than Title Summary and Description you’ll need to edit the workflow like below:

• Make sure that the ticket attributes you select to transfer, are the attributes for the correct ticket type!

-------

Yes, I have additional attributes in my workflow.

I am creating my new Jira ticket using “Back-office ticket” which is creating it as a Bug. Is that what you are doing as well?

-------

Yes, I have additional attributes in my workflow.

I am creating my new Jira ticket using “Back-office ticket” which is creating it as a Bug. Is that what you are doing as well?

My intances are similar, however I dont use the attributes Browser, First Name, Last Name, nor have I tried using the labels.

Id suggest running trials, with diffrent attributes and se which ones work. Or even try without labels.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Victor Mendez !

Currently, the Jira Ticket in a Workflow works as a basic Custom Action. So, it’s making a single API call to create the Ticket in Jira. It’s not establishing a sync between the Intercom Ticket and the Jira Ticket like our Jira for Tickets integration does.

You can read up on that Workflow in the article here if you haven’t already checked that out!

Hi @Victor Mendez !

Currently, the Jira Ticket in a Workflow works as a basic Custom Action. So, it’s making a single API call to create the Ticket in Jira. It’s not establishing a sync between the Intercom Ticket and the Jira Ticket like our Jira for Tickets integration does.

You can read up on that Workflow in the article here if you haven’t already checked that out!

Hello Jacob!
Yes,  I did read the article, in which it states the following: 

“ There are two Workflow templates that come preinstalled with the Jira app and you can customise them to meet your specific requirements:

1. Create Jira Issue - creates a Jira Issue and links it to an Intercom Ticket.

2. Comment on Jira Issue - adds a comment to the linked Jira Issue. “ 

In the Integration, linked tickets are referred to those that are in sync with an existing Jira Issue. If Ive misunderstood this, then Im sorry. But I do think this implies the Jira Issues are meant to link upon creation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey there @Victor Mendez 

I think we need to distinguish between ‘linking’ something and ‘syncing’ something. Linking the Intercom Ticket to the Jira Ticket means that you can access one from the other. Syncing means that there is a continual connection being made between the two items via a Webhook<>API connection so the attributes in one of the tickets will automatically update when changes are made in the other one.

The Workflow method links the Intercom ticket to the Jira ticket and allows you to send over specific attributes upon Ticket creation and when a Note is added to a Ticket. To achieve this, we have added pre-made Custom Action templates to the Workflows.

Custom Actions don’t create continual syncs, rather they are one-time API calls to the Jira Platform that will either create a Jira Issue or Create a Comment in a Jira Issue, depending on which action you choose.

This is why there are 2 Custom Action options for that Jira for Tickets integration in the Workflow. One is for when a ticket is created and one is for when a ticket receives a comment. If they were synced, there would be no need for the second option. That information would automatically be sent over.

Currently, the best option for creating a ticket with specific attributes would be the Workflow route. I agree that it would be nice to be able to sync more attributes over in the Jira for Tickets Inbox App, though! I’ll be sure to flag this with our Product Team so they know how much interest there is in having that ability.

Sorry for any confusion around these two features!