Answered

Can we use email instead of UserID as the connecting attribute between leads and users? (detailed question below)

• 29 June 2021
  • 2 replies

hello, I have a complicated request that I’m hoping you can help me with — we’re using email automation to invite “leads” to join our app, but are having issues with figuring out how we should configure the exit rules. Ideally, we’d like “leads” who convert in the sequence (i.e. install the app and create their profile) removed from the sequence so they are not sent an additional email telling them to download. However, it appears when someone converts, a duplicate profile is created in Intercom under “users” that are not connected to their “lead” profile. I believe this is because we are using UserID as the connecting attribute between leads and users, so my question is, can we use email instead? I assume that would eliminate our duplicate issue?

Next question, if we do that, how should we configure the exit rule to ensure people are removed after signing up for our app? Would we use “Signed Up” less than (more than?) some period of time-related to the length of the email automation?

icon

Best answer by Roy 30 June 2021, 00:37

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Grey Rocket 783​ 👋,

Let's start from the begging, Intercom automatically merges lead only based on the Intercom cookie. If you are sending e-mails to your leads Intercom cookie will not work in your case.

I'm suggesting merge Leads and user's profiles via API call, more information can be found here.

Once the user and lead profile will be merged, you can define any user-based attributes to exit them from the Series (Sign-up will also work for sure).

Please also take a look at the following article:

Merge lead and user profiles

Let me know if you have any question about this topic, will be happy to help.

Ah, I see.

Thank you much @roy s11​ for your super helpful answer and links.

Going over them with my team and will reach out if we have additional questions!