Answered

How to avoid conflict between in-app banners

• 11 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi all, 

I am creating a series with multiple banners to engage users with features they haven’t used yet. 
I tried testing these banners, but have found that multiple banners will trigger on top of each other at the same time if the user fulfills the criteria for multiple entry rules. 

I tried splitting 2 of the banners into individual series, spacing them out by time on URL, and adding a last contacted filter on one of the banners -- but that did not seem to work.  Does the last contacted criteria not include users who have engaged with an in-app banner? 

I thought of adding tags to exclude folks who have received 1 banner from receiving another, but the ideal behavior here is actually that the user should be able to receive multiple banners if they haven’t used the related features, just not all at the same time. 

Any tips on how I can avoid conflict between in-app messages would be appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by Eden 16 August 2023, 22:07

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hu@Jiayan Yu 👋 Eden from the support engineer team here.

At the moment, the last_contacted value isn’t updated for banners, product tours, checklists or SMS messages. I can see how it would be helpful if that were the case though, and will float this feedback to the team. 

Banners are displayed to users based on the earliest set live date. If there are multiple banners with the same targeting rules and the earliest banner is non-dismissible, then users should not receive any subsequent banners. To work around this, you can temporarily pause a non-dismissible banner once other banners have been set live, and then set it live again to push it to the back of the priority list. You shouldn’t be seeing banners stack on top of each other as you mentioned! This might take a bit of additional investigation, so I have forwarded your issue to the Customer Support team on your behalf using the forum ticket escalation feature. The team will get back to you as soon as they can. 👍

Thank you for your response! I’ll look out for the Support team. 

In my case, the banners each have different targeting rules that may end up overlapping if the user fulfills the criteria for both.