Answered

Survey Triggered by Event Issue with ProGuard - Android SDK v15.1.0

• 3 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello, I am an Android Kotlin developer, and I am using your SDK's automatic survey feature, which is triggered by an event. Everything is working fine when I test it in my environment because minify and shrink are disabled. However, when I generate a release version where this scenario changes (minify and shrink are enabled), the survey stops working.

I am using the ProGuard configuration provided in your GitHub documentation, as well as the ProGuards for OkHttp, Okio, and Retrofit (these last ones have been working in production for a long time in the code, it's not something recent, only Intercom is). Could you please assist me with this issue?

Intercom SDK: 15.1.0 (Without push messaging)
Compile SDK: 33
Min SDK: 21
Target SDK: 33

Our logging is not throwing any type of errors.

icon

Best answer by Eden 6 July 2023, 23:53

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Bruno Ribeiro da Silva 👋 Eden from the support engineer team here.

I see that you have written into the Messenger with this question. This might take a bit of additional investigation, so a conversation with our team there about this issue will be the best route. One of our support engineers will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Updating this thread with the solution that was discovered in the Intercom conversation thread! 👇

The issue was located in the Java class that handles events in the code. When Shrink was enabled, the classes that were of Static and constant types were being obfuscated, thus preventing their correct identification for being directed to Intercom. 

The solution applied here was to add rules in ProGuard to avoid obfuscating the event classes. As a result, the code started functioning correctly in the release version.