Skip to main content
Answered

UI Issue with Close Button in Intercom SDK on Android 15

• 9 July 2024
  • 9 replies

We are currently working on our upcoming release to the Google Play Store, ensuring compatibility with Android 15. As part of this effort, we have recently updated our app to use the latest version of the Intercom SDK (15.9.1).
During our testing phase, we encountered an issue specific to devices running Android 15. The problem pertains to the UI when attaching a video or image in the Intercom messenger.
The "X" close button overlaps with the status bar, making it difficult to close the attachment preview.
This behavior is observed only on Android 15 and seems related to the new edge-to-edge enforcement introduced in this version of Android.

Here are the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Open the Intercom messenger in our app.

2. Click on the attachment icon and choose Gallery.

3. Select an image or video.

4. Observe that the close ("X") button overlaps with the status bar, making it difficult to close the preview.

You can view a screen shot of the issue here: Intercom UI Issue android 15 on attachment screenshot

For more details on the edge-to-edge behavior change in Android 15, you can refer to the official documentation: Android 15 Behavior Changes.

In our app, we handle edge-to-edge layouts by applying `fitsSystemWindows` universally in our main activity and individually in our dialogs. Despite these measures, the issue persists within the Intercom SDK in specific scenario I mentioned above.

Could you please provide guidance on how to address this issue? If there is a known fix or an upcoming update that resolves this problem, we would appreciate the information.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi yd-thera, It’s Mat from the Support Engineering Team 😀

Thank you for flagging this issue for us. 
I’ve created a conversation in Intercom for you; please continue this thread there as our engineers might want to know about this issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this 😸

Hi Mat,

Thank you for your prompt response.

However, I am unable to find the conversation or thread you mentioned. Could you please provide more details on how I can access this conversation or any updates related to the issue?

We have recently updated to Intercom SDK version 15.10.0. While the original issue of the close ("X") button overlapping with the status bar on Android 15 still persists, we found that the behavior is consistent with what we experienced in version 15.9.1.

Additionally, we realized that the issue also affects the GIF attachment preview in the Intercom messenger on Android 15, where the close ("X") button overlaps with the status bar, making it difficult to close the preview.

However, when we updated to Intercom SDK version 15.10.1, we encountered a more severe issue. The close ("X") button and the send button do not appear at all when attaching images or videos from the gallery or selecting and previewing a GIF. This issue is now present across all tested Android versions (12, 14, and 15), not just Android 15.

Issue Details:

1. Original Issue (15.9.1 and 15.10.0): When attaching an image or video from the gallery or selecting a GIF, the close ("X") button overlaps with the status bar, making it difficult to close the preview. This behavior is observed only on Android 15.
  2. New Issue (15.10.1): The close ("X") button and send button do not appear at all when attaching images or videos from the gallery or selecting and previewing a GIF. This issue occurs across all tested Android versions (12, 14, and 15).

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open the Intercom messenger in our app.
  2. Click on the attachment icon and choose Gallery.
  3. Select an image or video.
  4. Observe that the close ("X") button overlaps with the status bar, making it difficult to close the preview (in SDK versions 15.9.1 and 15.10.0).
  5. Click on the GIF button.
  6. Select a GIF.
  7. Observe that the close ("X") button and send button do not appear in the preview (in SDK version 15.10.1).

Screenshots:

Could you please provide guidance on how to address these issues?
If there are any known fixes or upcoming updates that resolve these problems, we would appreciate the information.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi yd-thera It’s Mat from the Support Engineering Team 😀

If the conversation did not went to your email please reach out to us via Messenger chat window in your Workspace. Our engineers might want to take a look at this.

Write exactly the same message there and we try to resolve that issue for you.

If you have any trace logs that would be helpful as well.

Hi @mateusz.leszkiewicz , I’m also facing the same issue where the “Cancel” and “Send” buttons are not showing after the image has been selected. I’m using the version 15.10.1.

Please let me know how we can resolve this issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Aksh Shah, It’s Mat from the Support Engineering Team 😀

I’ve opened up a conversation in the Intercom for you. Please continue this thread there but first please update the SDK to the latest version.

Hi @mateusz.leszkiewicz , it seems the issue is there in the latest version which is 15.10.1, I checked, and it’s not happening in version 15.10.0. I’m using it on an Android 14 device.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Can you please pass this feedback to our engineers in the conversation I’ve created for you in the intercom?

Hi @mateusz.leszkiewicz, I opened a chat with Intercom Support regarding this issue but haven’t heard back from them since yesterday. Could you please help look into this?

Moreover, we would still like to update our Android SDK since our current version is outdated. However, with this issue, we are not looking forward to updating to the latest version 15.10.1. Is there a recommended Android SDK version that we can upgrade to?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Jack, It’s Mat from the Support Engineering Team 😀

I am sure someone will be with you shortly. We are experiencing a bit of a surge in the conversations volume hence this slight delay in response.