Answered

Custom Objects - How to view the data in the Intercom interface (not in a bot)

• 20 October 2022
  • 1 reply

I've submitted a chat request but it's been over 36 hours with no response on this, so posting it here.

We have tried various ways to pass our data into Intercom, firstly via the API (that we found in small print custom objects aren't supported via the public API).

Our second attempt was creating a new GET endpoint on our end, use the custom actions, map the intercom data and our data successfully, then set it to live. This doesn't seem to do anything. Everything I've read seems to suggest use of custom actions in bots - but I would have expected to be able to see this data we're passing in somewhere in Intercom - via filters, reports etc. We wanted to use it to provide our CX team with better data to contact our customers (e.g. contact all users that had [custom object] start dates in the next month, who spent at least £***).

We're making a third attempt by using our endpoint, to populate the JavaScript API with this custom object data.

Are we barking up the wrong tree? Is this not what custom objects are for before we invest anymore development in this?

icon

Best answer by Daniel M15 3 November 2022, 16:30

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 2

Hey @support d13​! Daniel from Customer Support Engineering here 🔧 

Objects aren't stored in a way that you can access or view them in the way you've described - they're not like conversation or people attributes where they can be viewed in a particular section. Bot flows are primarily the main use case for custom objects at the moment, though we do hope to integrate additional features to make up for the current limitations (a viewable data section, API usage, etc.). For the moment, we'd recommend using custom actions as a way to grab some data that is immediately to be related to either a person or a conversation - say, if you wanted to track something that isn't static, like refunds or order details, on the fly. But if you have some information that is required in Outbound flows and you have this attribute associated with all of your users, custom data attributes would be the best bet.

Hope this helps to clarify!